Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2005, 01:39 AM

Default Re: Getting tired of being white (7/11 trip report)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Now I know who the stupidest person in OOT is now. Congrats! And for the record, if anyone wanted to fight me because I called them bro or brother, that would meake them a far greater [censored] than me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever actually interacted with significant amounts of poverty-sticken african americans living in slums? Try walking up to a large group of african americans in 'the hood' and saying 'whadup brothas'. see how they greet you

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny you should ask, since that pretty much was what my peer group in high school was. They never seemed to have a problem with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a profound difference between how you can act with your close friends and what you can say in front of them compared to how you can behave against complete strangers. i'd wager since they were your close friends, you could say absolutely anything to them. consequently, your arguement in this case is completely invalid.

[/ QUOTE ]

EHHHH wrong. See thast the point, you are obv not comfortable around people from other racists, so you feel you have to change because of your preconceived notions. People know when you are pandering to them, and when you are just being yourself. if you truly dont stereotype people (which you obv do) you would be able to talk however you want to whomever you want and no one would say a thing...at least that is my experience.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This whole thread is sad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it kinda got away from me. I think I stabbed somebody with a trident at some point. But its funny watching 3 or 4 peoples head explode over the inappropriate use of the word brother.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:40 AM

Trust me when I say that the guys I hung out with wouldnt have given a flying [censored] about someone saying brother to them, esp. in a situation like the OP. If you arent black yourself, then I am quite sure I have a better idea of a black guy's POV than you do.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:40 AM

How can I get my title changed from "old hand" to "racist" or possibly "brotha". Is that a mod thing?
Old 10-16-2005, 01:42 AM

i would like mine changed to "marinatin'."
Old 10-16-2005, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I dont think its cool. Its just something that ive always said, I think my dad or one of my uncles calls everyone brother, so I picked it up when I was young. I just never thought abotu the ramifications of it, becasue anyone who is tight assed enough to call me a racist for saying thigns like that is nto worth my time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm ... so you're saying both that you've never thought about it the ramifications, but if there are any, you've already determined it must be that someone else is the party who is looking at things the wrong way?

A better approach to things you haven't thought through the ramifications of is clearly to put yourself on the same footing as them and step back from the situation, not just grant yourself a free pass on your unexamined behavior and make the other guy into the bad guy automatically.

There's nothing wrong with having the ability to not react to confrontations by going into a defensive shell or automatically having the attitude of attacking back. Sometimes, we can just do things a better way. It's worth thinking about if making special allowances for people might be doing things a better way. It would hardly kill ya, and being respectful of people is not the huge sacrifice that so many people seem to think it is. You don't have to like or agree with someone's point of view to respect them and treat them decently. And it's really nuts to turn them into the bad guy when you get caught out at being a clod.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, the point is I HAVE HAD NO RAMIFICATIONS. I dont pander, by changing the way you speak to certain people, it alienates them, becaue THEY KNOW YOU ARE DOING IT. Ive never, other than one time (probably becaue the kid was drunk), ever had any problem like hte OP. I am not labeling anyone but the white folks in this thread for being bad guys. you change your words because you think that you knwo how someone acts just because they are not hte same color as you...that is blatant racism imo.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
that was absolutely rude. would you address another white guy as a "brotha"? I think not. you used a term that is generally regarded as one of "thier words". it has been my experience from observing blacks that they speak differently from white people and seem to take offense to white people addressing them in the manner they use to communiate amongst themselves. they feel it is disrespectful. just like the word 'nigga'; it is thier word

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, is that called stereotyping? Or racial profiling?
Old 10-16-2005, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Trust me when I say that the guys I hung out with wouldnt have given a flying [censored] about someone saying brother to them, esp. in a situation like the OP. If you arent black yourself, then I am quite sure I have a better idea of a black guy's POV than you do.

[/ QUOTE ]

the key word is 'the guys I HUNG OUT WITH'

they are your friends. you could go up to one and say "i stuck it in your mom's pooper last night". they'd take it as a joke and laugh, either that or just not care. the reason you can call them 'brotha' is because you know them as friends and can say what you please.

however, you can't go around saying just anything to strangers. many people would take that as offensive and find it to be disrespectful. you base your experience off calling other black people 'brotha' from refering to your friends in that manner. but do you/habe you really gone around speaking that way to totally random poeple?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
that was absolutely rude. would you address another white guy as a "brotha"? I think not. you used a term that is generally regarded as one of "thier words". it has been my experience from observing blacks that they speak differently from white people and seem to take offense to white people addressing them in the manner they use to communiate amongst themselves. they feel it is disrespectful. just like the word 'nigga'; it is thier word

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, is that called stereotyping? Or racial profiling?

[/ QUOTE ]

stereotyping/racism

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This whole thread is sad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it kinda got away from me. I think I stabbed somebody with a trident at some point. But its funny watching 3 or 4 peoples head explode over the inappropriate use of the word brother.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just imagine how the thread would have gone had it been customary for you to refer to other men as "boy".