Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 10-16-2005, 01:04 AM

Default Re: Getting tired of being white (7/11 trip report)

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
Watch BET comedy. That should sum it up. Nutshell: I'm not politically correct, and its getting harder to hide on a daily basis [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thought there might be something about this particular incident. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I was at a bar last weekend with 3 large friends. I was the only white guy in the bar. Some dude handed me these books about the "white terrorist" and I was like "no, it's ok, i've read them before" (I actually had). For some reason he thought I was being patronizing and he started [censored] with me, calling me cracker and all this [censored]. I took two steps back and my 3 large friends took one step forward. The guy practically ran out the bar.

Are you seriously suggesting that I was being rude by using that phraseology, sir?
Old 10-16-2005, 01:06 AM

So you, a regular sized whitey, stepped into the shadows and your 3 large black friends stepped up for you? Thats fvcking awesome [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2005, 01:07 AM

Bro and brother have a different context when it's a white guy talking to a black guy, and "my brother" used the way you use it is totally unrelated than casually tagging someone with "bro" or the like.

It does sound like you had a very corny delivery of a very corny line. I don't blame the black guy from feeling like you were trying to be an ingratiating cracker and feeling distaste about it, and that you were being ridiculous and patronizing. Your remark was some funny damn stuff. About telling you to stick it up your butt or whatever well deserved comeback he gave was a great idea, I don't know. I'm a white guy and I don't have to suffer silently through that fake friendly horsesh*t from phoney insecure white guys on probably a daily basis for decades, so I don't know how short a fuse someone else might have. You're definitely asking for trouble by being such a goofball, and you got it. It doesn't make him a nice guy for giving it to you, but it didn't exactly make you a nice guy when you did your wigger act either.

I'd call it a wash, at best.

And next time, don't be so uptight(read: fake cool, my bruthah). Black dudes are just people, and you don't need a hyped up cover story or different personality to talk to them. It's way more respectful and friendly not to point out the racial difference by doing some weird suck "my brotha" sh*t. Because if they don't matter, and they don't, then why the hell make a point of it? Especially so ridiculously.

I'm sure this will be seen as flameworthy to some, but it's an honest reading. I'd never be calling black dudes "my brother" unless I was in a Steve Martin Czechoslovakian playboys sketch on an old Saturday Night Live. Garrett Morris had an admirably thick skin for that kind of crap, especially when it was unintentional and came from people who were socially retarded.

Old 10-16-2005, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So you, a regular sized whitey, stepped into the shadows and your 3 large black friends stepped up for you? Thats fvcking awesome [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, that about sums it up. I felt like kind of a pussy for not wanting to fight for myself but I had a bad feeling that, with me being the only honkey in the bar, it would turn into a racial thing with the whole bar if I tried to fight him.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:09 AM

that was absolutely rude. would you address another white guy as a "brotha"? I think not. you used a term that is generally regarded as one of "thier words". it has been my experience from observing blacks that they speak differently from white people and seem to take offense to white people addressing them in the manner they use to communiate amongst themselves. they feel it is disrespectful. just like the word 'nigga'; it is thier word
Old 10-16-2005, 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You should have responded "chill my nigga, we're cool, it's cool."

And elongate the pronunciation of "my."

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, if he had popped his collar, it would have signalled that he was cool and the brotha would have given him a pass on it.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bro and brother have a different context when it's a white guy talking to a black guy, and "my brother" used the way you use it is totally unrelated than casually tagging someone with "bro" or the like.

It does sound like you had a very corny delivery of a very corny line. I don't blame the black guy from feeling like you were trying to be an ingratiating cracker and feeling distaste about it, and that you were being ridiculous and patronizing. Your remark was some funny damn stuff. About telling you to stick it up your butt or whatever well deserved comeback he gave was a great idea, I don't know. I'm a white guy and I don't have to suffer silently through that fake friendly horsesh*t from phoney insecure white guys on probably a daily basis for decades, so I don't know how short a fuse someone else might have. You're definitely asking for trouble by being such a goofball, and you got it. It doesn't make him a nice guy for giving it to you, but it didn't exactly make you a nice guy when you did your wigger act either.

I'd call it a wash, at best.

And next time, don't be so uptight(read: fake cool, my bruthah). Black dudes are just people, and you don't need a hyped up cover story or different personality to talk to them. It's way more respectful and friendly not to point out the racial difference by doing some weird suck "my brotha" sh*t. Because if they don't matter, and they don't, then why the hell make a point of it? Especially so ridiculously.

I'm sure this will be seen as flameworthy to some, but it's an honest reading. I'd never be calling black dudes "my brother" unless I was in a Steve Martin Czechoslovakian playboys sketch on an old Saturday Night Live. Garrett Morris had an admirably thick skin for that kind of crap, especially when it was unintentional and came from people who were socially retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

lighten up nancy. I dont see the point of all this bullshit, i call people brother all the time, white black asian whatever, and no one has ever said anything. anyone who thinks they can pin me as a racist because i use the word brother is wound up too tight, and deserves the ulcer they probably have.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, that about sums it up. I felt like kind of a pussy for not wanting to fight for myself but I had a bad feeling that, with me being the only honkey in the bar, it would turn into a racial thing with the whole bar if I tried to fight him.

[/ QUOTE ]

...and there's no way you could even handle one black guy, much less a whole bar full being that they are so athletic and strong.

Swede