Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 02:13 PM

Default Re: What do you think about this quote?

context and sound bites are all that is going to be propagandad about here. it should go to politics where this is common.

seriously, there are probably kids who are eating better than they did, and thanking people for it - and that's where the quote comes from. does it sound rude and insensitive the way she worded it? yes...is it a matter of context - almost certainly.

[ QUOTE ]
Former First Lady Barbara Bush said of the war in Iraq: "Why should we hear about body bags and deaths? It's not relevant. So why should I waste my beautiful mind on something like that?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Another Barbara Bush quote...

LINK

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i agree entirely with her statement

[/ QUOTE ]WTF? i dont post that much in OOT but is this a joke?

[/ QUOTE ]

no...its not a joke

either way u wanna take it...its still a correct statement
Old 09-06-2005, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

No. They don't make life good. But those are MREs that those people didn't pay for. They're sleeping in a building that they didn't pay for. Bad things happen. The alternative is much worse. They could be without food or shelter.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you say they didn't pay for it? If you pay taxes a portion of that goes to disaster relief. Unless you are saying that all 100k are tax avoiders? But that's not the point. Lets go back to the original topic.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Barbara was born in 1925 to Pauline and Marvin Pierce, who later became president of McCall Corporation. In the suburban town of Rye, New York, she had a happy childhood. She went to boarding school at Ashley Hall in South Carolina, and it was at a dance during Christmas vacation when she was only 16 that she met George Bush, a senior at Phillips Academy in Andover, Massachusetts.

[/ QUOTE ]

No wonder she's so aware of what it's like to be underpriviledged
Old 09-06-2005, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They were poor before but now they can share residence with 50,000 other poor people and eat MREs! They may have lost their homes, cars, family heirlooms, pets, and every earthly possession but MREs make life good!

[/ QUOTE ]

No. They don't make life good. But those are MREs that those people didn't pay for. They're sleeping in a building that they didn't pay for. Bad things happen. The alternative is much worse. They could be without food or shelter.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think this depends on how you interpret barbaras statement. if you think it means "compared to being in their flooded homes in NO, youd rather be in the superdome", then it is not that unreasonable. but if it means "this hurricane is great for these people, life in NO before the hurricane sucked compared to this sweet deal", obviously its awful.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How can you say they didn't pay for it? If you pay taxes a portion of that goes to disaster relief. Unless you are saying that all 100k are tax avoiders? But that's not the point. Lets go back to the original topic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I'm saying the majority of them don't pay taxes. And it is the point. If these were people with well-paying jobs, they'd have money for other kinds of accomodations and wouldn't be sitting in the Astrodome. The people are being helped. I'm sorry for their loss and everything bad that has happened to them, but when you don't take care of yourself, you are afforded what other people offer you as charity.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
context and sound bites are all that is going to be propagandad about here. it should go to politics where this is common.

seriously, there are probably kids who are eating better than they did, and thanking people for it - and that's where the quote comes from. does it sound rude and insensitive the way she worded it? yes...is it a matter of context - almost certainly.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with what she said is that I'm sure 99.9% of the people living in the Astrodome wish that their homes, families, pets, belongings, jobs (yup, this might come as a surprise to some of you, some of these people had real jobs!) etc... hadn't been destroyed in the hurricane. Sure, some of these people are eating healthier now, but I think they'd have preferred not having lost family members and not having their homes destroyed rather than eating free MRE's.

Having some rich bitch who has never experienced any hardship in her life tell you that you should be thankful to be a refugee would be a little more than I could take.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Her quote doesn't offend me because I think the government is responsible for providing better temporary housing for these people, it offends me because she callously thinks that being evacuated from your home and packed into a football stadium is no big deal for these people since they were living in poverty anyways, as if she even knows what she's talking about.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think this depends on how you interpret barbaras statement. if you think it means "compared to being in their flooded homes in NO, youd rather be in the superdome", then it is not that unreasonable. but if it means "this hurricane is great for these people, life in NO before the hurricane sucked compared to this sweet deal", obviously its awful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. And I said, I think she chose her words poorly. I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt. I'm not even a Bush supporter, but I'm not out on a witch hunt like some other people that are just looking for any reason to crucify anyone named Bush.