Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 09:43 AM

Default Your forum makes me sick

Im a frequenter of OTT, and dropped in a little after the hurricane hit, hoping for good POV's of the situation. Most everyone in here, sans 2-3 of you, act like little children, except with more sarcasm. You fail to even consider the other sides argument, and just spout what your respective party leaders tell you too. Its sick. Not that you are the only people to do so, the whole country seems this way, I just assumed that Twoplustwo'ers might be above all of it. Where's any sembelance of objectivity?
Old 09-06-2005, 09:46 AM

Default Re: Your forum makes me sick

Nice post.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:51 AM

Freedom of opinion and freedom of speech--check it out [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-06-2005, 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Freedom of opinion and freedom of speech--check it out [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no problem with freedom of opinion or speech. You can do whatever you want. But from a logical standpoint, it is counterproductive to getting your opinion across. If a tree falls in the woods and no one hears it.........
Old 09-06-2005, 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You fail to even consider the other sides argument, and just spout what your respective party leaders tell you too.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is quite often true in regards to many topics discussed, yes it is unfortunate

[ QUOTE ]

I just assumed that Twoplustwo'ers might be above all of it. Where's any sembelance of objectivity?

[/ QUOTE ]

You read OOT, so honestly how can you be surprised. For the most part I agreed with your overall point, but pretty much like every other forum there are some actual decent points made by a few select individuals but quite often they are buried between many other useless posts.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:37 AM

Default What I get out of the politics forum

This is a great post you made. Every word is true. I was considering making a snide remark like welcome, come join us, but I think you deserve a little more effort so I am going to give it a shot.

The very thing, I think that makes this forum work, is the freedom to be as non objective as you want. I do it for entertainment value. Sometimes though, I find that being non objective about things is the fastest path to defining what reality really is. Everyone would like to believe that they are enlightened, that they have some corner on how the world really is or how it really works. For some, the ideal world would be one in which their enlightened views would be all they needed for success, great riches, and the love of all. But that isn't the real world. In the real world, people are all biased. There is no "objectivity." Everyone is the product of their education, their experiences, or the acceptance of whatever group of people they count themselves a part of. Very few, and I mean very few people, ever really escape that net of influences. I'm not even sure about the absolute validity of that statement. Perhaps I should revise it to say very few people even try.

Some people make a practice out of proving others are "wrong" and that reinforces the idea that they themselves are "right." Hog wash. It's word games. Come and play.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:43 AM

Sometimes we make serious posts, and sometimes we post nonsense.

Just for you, I started a thread that should generate serious discussion about the very real interactions between the key players in the hurricane crisis. HERE
Old 09-06-2005, 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Where's any sembelance of objectivity?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you expect it? This is a place that is, most of the time, dedicated to people giving ther political opinions. Opinions are, definitionally, not objective.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You fail to even consider the other sides argument, and just spout what your respective party leaders tell you too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you post would be more appropriate in the politics forum, but would still be equally wrong.

I don't have a party line. I will attack each part and idology equally.

My question to you is how can someone not consider the other side of an argument? That would be like arguing in a vaccuum.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you post would be more appropriate in the politics forum...

[/ QUOTE ]

its in the politics forum.

[ QUOTE ]

My question to you is how can someone not consider the other side of an argument?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really think that many people actually truly consider different views about various issues? I assume that most people don't