Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2005, 09:18 PM

Default Try to loosen up preflop, but..

My VPIP is only 21% and I really need to loosen up a bit.
I didn't use to raise with PP under 99 UTG/MP, I get too many callers at 1/2 and it's very hard to play postflop with 1-2 overcards in the flop-turn against more opponents out of position.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

River: (6.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG folds, Hero folds, Button folds.

Final Pot: 7.50 BB

I also have problems raising with QJs UTG/MP..
Is it OK to call only with these hands? I don't want to fold them to give up +EV so easyly.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:41 PM

Default Re: Try to loosen up preflop, but..

If you're just starting SH, I would worry more about postflop play. 21% is fine for now, just work on hand reading and adjusting to the increased aggression. Then once you've got that down you'll have a much easier time raising pf.