Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 09:07 PM

Default AFC WC

I was going to put this in the official Steelers miss the playoffs thread but decided it should be made more general.

Indy, Cincy, Denver, New England solidly ahead of divisions.
2 WC spots:
Jacksonville 9-4 (7-3 conf) beat Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh 8-5 (6-5 conf) lost to Jacksonville ([censored] Maddox), beat San Diego
San Diego 8-5 (6-3 conf) lost to Pittsburgh, beat KC
Kansas City 8-5 (7-3 conf) lost to SD

Remaining schedules:
Jacksonville - SF, @ Houston, Tennessee
Pittsburgh - @ Minnesota, @ Cleveland, Detroit
San Diego - @ Indy, @ KC, Denver
Kansas City - @ NYG, San Diego, Cincinnati

Two team tiebreaker is head to head, conference games, common opponents. Three or more and first each division is broken down to 1 team, if still 3 or more and one team has beat other 2 they win, conference, common games... Basically you do one of above until it's down to 2 teams tied and then do 2 team tiebreaker.

Who do you guys think are in?

I don't see Jacksonville not getting in with that schedule. Pittsburgh should win those games. Today's performance has me hopeful as the Bears are better than all remaining opponents. I'm most worried about Cleveland as they will be fired up. It'll be like rivalry week in college football when a losing team is trying to knock off the rival. San Diego is dead with that schedule and losing the tiebreaker with Pittsburgh. Kansas City has a tough schedule as well. They are somewhat well off in that they "control their own destiny" which is an overused cliche. If they win out and so does Pittsburgh, they will go through with a better conference record (and won't be in the 3 way tie which currently puts Pittsburgh ahead first).

At this point I'm going to potentially put the jinx out there and say Jacksonville and Pittsburgh are in.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:13 PM

Default Re: AFC WC

We probably won't know the truth until that SD vs KC game, but *knock on wood* the Steelers chances have really made a 180 from last week.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:16 PM

KC needs Cincy to hand them a game, plus they need to win @NYG + San Diego, which will be hard.

SD is really hoping Indy gives away next week's game, is hoping Denver hands them a game, and still has to outplay KC.

I think Jacksonville and Pittsburgh make it as well, but if Denver and Cincy know who's getting the 2 seed and who gets the 3 seed in Week 17, they're not going to be motivated, and Indy has HFA locked up right now, and SD's still a very good team.

Not going to be easy though, SD and KC really needed to win this week's games.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:28 PM

Jacksonville is a lock.
I think the Steelers lose to either Minnesota or Cleveland, putting them at 10-6.
The most important game left appears to be Chargers-Chiefs. If the Chargers win, the Steelers get in over SD via tiebreaker because they beat them head-to-head. If the Chiefs win, they get in over Pittsburgh via conference record. So, I guess I'm rooting for San Diego to beat KC if I'm a Steelers fan.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:32 PM

I think KC will beat Cincy at home whether that game is meaningful to Cincy or not.