Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 04:52 PM

Default Re: results

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i called, EP flips over A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], hits his backdoor flush and takes down the $186 pot. needless to say, I am on a break at the moment, starting a new file in my notes. gotta love the poka

[/ QUOTE ]

Please do not make thinly disguised bad beat posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

this wasn't a bad-beat post, I got all the feedback I needed about my pre-flop play and turn play, before I posted the results of the hand, which aren't the most important part of the post. in other words, stop being so catty, Kathy

[/ QUOTE ]

You posted the results half an hour after the first post. This is a bad beat post with very little strategic content. Good day sir.

[/ QUOTE ]

wuteva...catty kathy! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2005, 04:54 PM

Default Re: AJs, flop top pair + flush draw,.25/.50 NL, big pot

You lose value on this hand if the turn comes and villian is ahead of you. Right now you are even money. Villian doesn't hate his hand, so push him in now and hope he calls. If he folds you take his $7. Sounds like a good deal to me.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You lose value on this hand if the turn comes and villian is ahead of you. Right now you are even money. Villian doesn't hate his hand, so push him in now and hope he calls. If he folds you take his $7. Sounds like a good deal to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with a huge overbet now is it's only called by a much better hand. Maybe an overpair (which you don't mind), but more likely only a set or two pair, both of which are favourites against you.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:58 PM

Default Re: results

and it's not like posting the results is going to change any of the discussion of the hand. the posters all have taken bad beats, most of the posters aren't results oriented thinkers, and bad beat or not, there is always something I can learn from a hand history. I don't post hands because of bad beats, and I don't post hands because I want to show some play that makes me look like johnny chan. I say the results of every hand history I post because it is a fun thing to do, no matter what happens.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:03 PM

Villian limp-reraising preflop and having a set means he has exactly JJ. I sincerely doubt it. More likely he has AA or KK in these situations...I'd push against either of these hands here, as we're getting better than even money if we're called.

I'm not trying to say that OP's flop raise is incorrect or anything, I just personally like pushing here.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with a huge overbet now is it's only called by a much better hand. Maybe an overpair (which you don't mind), but more likely only a set or two pair, both of which are favourites against you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Likelihood villain has a set is close to none. Most don't limp reraise 55 or 77, leaving JJ as the only reasonable hand left. Two pair? Do people you play with frequently make this play with J5, J7? Most villains will have an overpair here, and most will call with an overpair. Considering the dead money in the pot, a push is viable imo.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:18 PM

Wow villain is super-loose post-flop too huh? I'd buddylist him for sure.

Also, I don't mind how you laid out this hand, or the fact that you took a river beating. You made a good play on an interesting hand and got unlucky so thats that.

Per other posters comments, I think raising PF to cut a field with AJs in position is perfectly fine. I like the raise on the flop as it made draws pay dearly and should have put you in the lead. Given villain's line he did look strong at all points in the hand and looked like he had you beat, but ~2.666:1 pot odds and 9 heart outs plus the bluff-factor made it a close one.

Overall, a pretty interesting post.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:19 PM

I'd raise to $2.5 preflop. If I believe he has to have aces, I'll just call the flop. Against an aggro player, I almost always reraise that flop. The turn is an instacall. You're not getting correct odds when he has aces, but he doesn't have to have aces here. If he has kings, you made a good call. There's always a chance that you actually have the best hand, and it's catastrophic when he pushes you off so much equity. I'm not saying that you should always convince yourself to call in these spots, but against the player that you described you have to take into account all the times he might not have what a normal player would.

Edit to respond to other posters: It's not a bad beat post, it just had a funny result. Some people are discounting the 2 clean jack outs and and about maybe 1.5 ace outs. Pushing isn't my favorite play here, if you just raise you give yourself the chance to check behind on the turn and perhaps see both cards for a third of the price of pushing. If you want to raise enough to pot commit yourself, that's fine too. There's no turn that's going to really make me want to lay this down, and I don't want to allow myself to fold after putting in so much money. Not raising AJs on the button preflop is weak.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:20 PM

and there's no way you can push the flop... that's rediculous to bet that much into a small pot.

"only get called by hands that beat you" comes to mind.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:24 PM

You have 53% equity against KK, QQ. You are about 85/15 against AK. 43/67 against AA You are 30/70 against JJ. What "better" hands are there here? This is a profitable push, as you're getting better than even money from a call. What's not to like?