Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 04:13 PM

Default Re: AJs, flop top pair + flush draw,.25/.50 NL, big pot

[ QUOTE ]
Raising AJs in this spot (which is not a premium hand in my mind) is only going to bloat the pot, making it difficult to play a one pair hand properly. Your opponents will be making the same post flop mistakes in smaller pots than they will in larger ones (indeed, these mistakes are highlighted due to the much smaller pot size).

In limit this is a clear raise for value but in no limit there are other more important considerations, notably pot control.

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be a problem when OOP. Playing one pair hands is much easier when you have position. You will often get better hands to fold to your CB when you bet the flop. If called, you have position the rest of the way.

I think raising here becomes suboptimal if you are noticing people limping in with hands like AQ and AK from early and middle position. Otherwise, it is fine IMO.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:20 PM

Default results

i called, EP flips over A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], hits his backdoor flush and takes down the $186 pot. needless to say, I am on a break at the moment, starting a new file in my notes. gotta love the poka
Old 11-21-2005, 04:21 PM

Default Re: results

[ QUOTE ]
i called, EP flips over A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], hits his backdoor flush and takes down the $186 pot. needless to say, I am on a break at the moment, starting a new file in my notes. gotta love the poka

[/ QUOTE ]

Please do not make thinly disguised bad beat posts.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Raising AJs in this spot (which is not a premium hand in my mind) is only going to bloat the pot, making it difficult to play a one pair hand properly. Your opponents will be making the same post flop mistakes in smaller pots than they will in larger ones (indeed, these mistakes are highlighted due to the much smaller pot size).

In limit this is a clear raise for value but in no limit there are other more important considerations, notably pot control.

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be a problem when OOP. Playing one pair hands is much easier when you have position. You will often get better hands to fold to your CB when you bet the flop. If called, you have position the rest of the way.

I think raising here becomes suboptimal if you are noticing people limping in with hands like AQ and AK from early and middle position. Otherwise, it is fine IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

this was the first hand in an hour I had seen AK limp reraised, I thought he might have AK when I called the re-raise, but since we each had over 150BB, +position, I called the extra 4.75.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this wasn't a bad-beat post, I got all the feedback I needed about my pre-flop play and turn play, before I posted the results of the hand, which aren't the most important part of the post. in other words, stop being so catty, Kathy
Old 11-21-2005, 04:42 PM

allin on the flop.

Even if both villians have overpairs you have over 50% equity here, this should be an autopush if youre raised into here.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:43 PM

Agreed. This was high content post that led to some interesting discussion, which incidentally ended badly for Hero.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

KathleenStand

Reged: 11/21/05

Cleaning up the forum on her first day. vn. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2005, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this wasn't a bad-beat post, I got all the feedback I needed about my pre-flop play and turn play, before I posted the results of the hand, which aren't the most important part of the post. in other words, stop being so catty, Kathy

[/ QUOTE ]

You posted the results half an hour after the first post. This is a bad beat post with very little strategic content. Good day sir.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
allin on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

all in for 79 bucks? is it usually better to push off a loose raiser, or is it profitable to try and exctract more chips off of a player like that? would an overbet of around $40 be in order, definitely pot committing me no matter what turn card comes? what would have been the optimal line with a potentially large side-pot like that?