Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 10:52 AM

Default Re: Superman vs. Jesus

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just on the subject of Jor-el & Ka-el; the creators of Superman were both Jewish and it may be interest to note that biblical names that end in "el" such as Ezekiel, Michael, Gabriel etc all mean "something of God". (with the "el" being God)

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn’t know that SDM. Interesting to know.

Cheers, buddy.

And to the OP. Big Daddy is correct, you will find many examples of such motifs in literature, film, art, etc. It always adds to the understanding and further enriches the work. Usually, it is not necessary to catch the allusions, but when one does it only enhances the enjoyment of the work. (And I don’t say this as related to Religion, but in the context of appreciation for the work.)

RJT

[/ QUOTE ]
This I know from high school English class. I seem to recall Tale of Two Cities having a "Christ character." But I think a more interesting question in cases like that is, did the author intend it? One might just assume it was intended when it comes to "deep" piece of literature. But a comic book? Because of that, I find SDM's comment really interesting.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:17 PM

Default Re: Superman vs. Jesus

I think for the most part the author intends it. Although, every time one reads an interview, for example, the artist usually tries to feign that it wasn’t intentional (who knows why they do that - seems to me they often do that, anyway.)

This (if no intent) can lead to Jung’s theory of the collective unconscious. Which coincidentally was going to be a post I was going to inquire about: What is modern psychology’s (or other science’s) view of the collective unconscious.