Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2004, 08:34 PM

Default elysium?

Old 02-05-2004, 08:34 PM

Default Re: new to internet. what does this mean?

In addition to your poker analysis Ulysses, count brevity among your strong points.
Old 02-05-2004, 11:39 PM

Default Re: new to internet. what does this mean?

Hi Elysium

i've read this thread 3 times - twice carefully - i'm struggling - sometimes i catch a glimpse of something inspired but most of the time the language loses me - i'll take a stab

on-line poker is the same game as live - any argument about this has to first contemplate what the character of poker is - i think nearly all the character of poker derives from losing money or more precisely your capacity to lose money whilst playing a game that your good at

playing poker on-line feels the same as playing live to me except for the human element of playing live - i dont wish to sound unromantic about the human element - i miss it but it hasnt completely disappeared playing on-line

in my view on-line poker will change poker but in the same way everything changes - it will progress from where it is - the character of the game will remain the same

if you have never played on-line before and have misgivings about how it all works and how it all feels that is hardely surprising - if you have a big live poker habit then you are entrenched in poker being a certain way - the live way - that would serve to make the differences of on-line poker when first experienced seem more extreme than they really are

play some more on-line and perhaps it will start to look familiar - if not i'd be interested in your more considered view of the differences

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 02-05-2004, 11:51 PM

Default lmao. most brilliant post of the year?! n/m

Old 02-05-2004, 11:54 PM

Default you guys are going to hate this but...

i know of at least two prominent well-respected posters on here (and no i will NOT say who they are!, and no im certainly not including elysium nor myself) who think there's very likely something fishy with online poker given their personal experience with it.

Old 02-06-2004, 03:37 AM

Default Re: you guys are going to hate this but...

Of course there's all sorts of cheating and collusion going on on-line, if that's what you're talking about. But, for a number of reasons, I don't believe there's anything fishier than that going on.
Old 02-06-2004, 05:33 AM

Hey mike, the first thing that comes to mind when I read that people think online poker is rigged is this. How much have they played before making this decision, and after making it have they stopped playing online?

Keep in mind that I'm not discounting the possibility that it is in fact rigged.
Old 02-06-2004, 05:49 AM

I heard that the 4th and 5th street cards on Party can be predicted rather easily.

I really don't think the colluders do it well enough to make money, and if they play in a way to make money through it they'll be found out rather quickly.

But I do think I know why people think they're being cheated online. It really seems like you're taking every bad beat in the book. But when you're playing a day's worth of poker every hour, you need to expect that you'll take a once-a-week bad beat every few hours.

~D
Old 02-06-2004, 01:44 PM

And I know of dozens of well respected posters on here that don't think there is anything fishy going on, other than the obvious collusion that Ulysses referred to.

Of course I'm only taking about the well established and respected cardrooms. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there has been funny business going on at the smaller rooms.
Old 02-06-2004, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't think the colluders do it well enough to make money, and if they play in a way to make money through it they'll be found out rather quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I more or less agree, but I've played in various games where I think a good player's earn is likely impacted due to certain degrees of collusion. If two guys just tell each other their cards via IM, it won't necessarily make them profitable, but it will slightly increase their EV and slightly decrease yours. I just consider that kind of stuff to be part of the game (just as people playing on shared bankrolls at B&M is part of the game) and as long as the game is still profitable, I don't really worry about it.

[ QUOTE ]
But when you're playing a day's worth of poker every hour, you need to expect that you'll take a once-a-week bad beat every few hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing short-handed yesterday, I got 300 hands in an hour. Very good point, and very true.