Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2003, 12:39 PM

Default Disgraceful, Debatable, or Okay.

Loose 7.50 - 15.00 home game (5/7.50 blinds). I'm in middle position after a limper and look down to see

A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I call, theres an additional caller, and the blinds comes along. We see the flop 5 ways for a single bet.

K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Checked to me, I check, checked behind me, than theres a bet from a reasonable player, a raise from Loose-Agressive-Tricky Player(LATP) in one of the blinds, Folded back to me, I three bet, the reasonable player thinks a while and folds, the LATP caps it.

Turn is an offsuit 7.

LATP bets into me and I call.

River is an offsuit Jack.

LATP bets into me.

I go into the tank, count the pot, and call.

Comments on all streets appreciated. I am pretty sure that I don't like my flop three-bet, but I am still on the fence. It took me alot to find that river call, and I'm not sure if I like it at all, but I though the pot was big enough and there were a lot of busted draws out there.

Results below.
AK dragged the pot.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Disgraceful, Debatable, or Okay.

You said it. The flop 3-bet and (especially) the river call are pretty bad. I think you got too caught up in trying to win the pot instead of trying to win money.

Remember, A4s isn't any sort of huge long-term winner by any means. Folding A4s preflop is probably more profitable in the long run than playing like you did and putting in all that money without the odds (with the infinitismal chance you're ahead).

Just check and call when playing against a loose-aggressive-tricky player. Let him dig his own grave.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:58 PM

Default YAFIFA!

Old 10-09-2003, 01:02 PM

Yeah...I agree....The flop three-bet was actually an attempt to buy a free-card. I get a good deal of respect in this game and thought there were some side benefits, including trying to clean up my Ace outs and getting a turn/river call if I did hit.

The player in question will always bet on the end if he has no chance of winning the pot in a show-down. He was in a blind so I thought there was a slight chance the Ace high would hold up. Unfortunately I managed to ignore all the information given on the previous rounds.
Old 10-09-2003, 01:03 PM

Default Re: YAFIFA!

What is YAFIFA?
-Huh
Old 10-09-2003, 01:05 PM

I don't mind the flop 3-bet as much as the river call. You missed you rdraw, lay it down. What do you think he's capping the flop with ... Q8s?
Old 10-09-2003, 03:15 PM

you really don't want to know, but lets say loosely translated, it is calling him a 'fish'.

-Scott
Old 10-09-2003, 03:41 PM

You're a f***ing idiot... f***ing a**hole?
Old 10-09-2003, 04:01 PM

Hi Huh,

I don't think any of those three words decribe your play.

I would bet out on the flop, and just call a raise behind me. You still need some players in the pot to make your flush worthwhile, I don't see why you three-bet. It seems too many people will "get that free river card", no matter how much it costs on the flop. It just doesn't make sense.

The river call has dubious value. The only busted draw was yours. The pot odds were good to call, but what did you really think that LATP had to check-raise the flop? Loose, aggressive and tricky does not always equate to foolish. If you want to see his cards at the end, you should have raised. Good luck.
Old 10-09-2003, 07:20 PM

Believe me, this is far from the way I usually play this hand...But I play against these guys all the time ,and sometimes it causes me to do some very foolish things. One of my main reasons for posting the hand was to get kicked in the ass. And I really do appreciated.

That being said, They last thing I put the button on was AK. I really thouhgt, he thought, the person who initially bet out was trying to buy the pot, or was betting some draw. The player was very capable of raising with nothing but a good read. Now, when the cap came down, I should have been looking for reasons to fold. The factor that made me call the end was the fact that I could beat any flush draw, and I thought that was a real possibility. But oh well....Live and learn....