Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2003, 12:02 PM

Default Gigantor Humongo Implied Odds.

In a 3-3-6-9 game that is very loose passive pre-flop, slightly more aggressive on the flop, but usually with 1.33 callers on the $9 street, does K2s UTG become profitable. I think it does, while a respected colleague of mine things it does not.

For the sake of argument, lets say the game is 8 handed, with 5 usually taking a flop. Lets say you will lose one on the flop, but the flop has a decent chance of getting two bets. On the turn, it may be wittled down to a three-way confrontation, but there is just as likely a chance that it will be two-way or four-way. On the river, you can get either an over-call or a raise in at least 35% of the time, although river raises do get a ridiculous amount of respect in the game.

My adjustment to this game has been to play many suited cards from any position. That includes suited Aces, Kings, and any suited connector. I am easily throwing away AJ, KQ, KJ, JT, from early and middle position. I am still in conflict over AQ, but I have sometimes been throwing it away UTG, and UTG+1 unless I am getting fold vibes behind me.

Comments appreciated.

Old 10-03-2003, 12:51 PM

Default Re: Gigantor Humongo Implied Odds.

I think you're correct in respecting your colleague.
Old 10-03-2003, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Gigantor Humongo Implied Odds.

I would think tossing some of these hands, especially hands like KQ and AQ, would be giving up too much. And I don't think K2 is playable UTG, in EP or MP. Maybe with most of the table in I'd take it on the button or CO, but then again I don't fully understand the implications of the larger bet on the river. It looks to make drawing hands more valuable, yes, but I don't see that it makes it so much more than I'd toss AQo or play K2s.