Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2003, 03:58 AM

Default AQo BB raise or why i always carry rolaids

hi everyone
this hand occurred last night in a 5-10 game. i'm posting it here because....because.....oh man did i ever make a great play. i just want to post it here.

it's 5-10 ish, but the opponents are solid regulars who play well. i am in the BB with AQo, and the UTG
+1 limps and gets folded to the button who also limps. the SB folds and i raise.

the flop comes T55r and i bet out. the UTG+1 calls and the button folds, so we're heads up.

the turn produces a 9 putting two clubs on. now the UTG+1 is very solid and good, but i've stung him and a few others so there's a little grumbling going on and when i bet, an opponent who is weak doesn't like it. and i know that this opponent will not like it if i bet, so i bet bang very decisively. and my opponent calls. but i sense victory.

the river produces a rag, and no doubt i bet. well, my opponent does a sudden reversal and raises. i'm thinking, 'twenty bucks. what in the world...?'. but that card didn't help him. he stayed the same as before. and he also grumbled 'there, what do you think about that?' but there was no fluidity. he was putting out static like. and i could sense stomach acid refluxing. i don't know if there are other posters who can sense acid reflux, but i can. he was very acidie like. i instantly called and it was a great call. he was on a busted draw and was bluff-raising the river. i then was able to take control of the table and no one took a shot at me all night. i went up a couple hundred and dropped down to up a hundred for the night, but tomorrow i will do better, and i owe it all to that wonderful call.

sometimes, when you make the tough call, you just feel like a king.

Old 07-28-2003, 04:28 AM

Default Re: AQo BB raise or why i always carry rolaids

Nice call. Normally with a big Ace I will just check and hope to induce a bluff bet from the busted draw. Why did you bet the river?
Old 07-28-2003, 08:01 AM

because.....oh man did i ever make a great play. i just want to post it here. Where in the hand did this take place? The river raise?

Old 07-28-2003, 08:50 AM

and i could sense stomach acid refluxing. i don't know if there are other posters who can sense acid reflux, but i can. he was very acidie like.

The acid reflux tell is almost as reliable as the crushing chest pain tell.
Old 07-28-2003, 09:56 AM

Default Another aspect...

Hey all,

What do people think of how the other guy played the hand (i.e. how would you play each street if you were in his shoes)? Let's say he had K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]...

ML4L
Old 07-28-2003, 11:44 AM

I would opine that a check and call is a higher EV play in this spot, in the long run for the type of opponent stated.
Old 07-28-2003, 12:54 PM

In June of last year, I won about 7 pots, each about 6-8 big bets in size, calling a bet on the river with nothing but Ace-high in the Mirage 20-40 game. That's was worth about $2,000.
Old 07-28-2003, 02:23 PM

Default Fold at the flop N/M

Old 07-28-2003, 05:12 PM

hi anatta
interestingly anatta, if i had AK, i would have checked the river, but with AQ i bet trying to fold AQ or AK and of course any small pair.
Old 07-28-2003, 06:57 PM

I would also so opine.

I might even think and say it..heh

Reminds me of that snagglepuss character on the cartoons who would say stuff like:

"I reckon that he is a pilferer...a purloiner...a thief even"

and

"it was stupendous...magnificent...good even"