Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-22-2005, 03:02 PM

Default Re: FTOP vs SnG: example.

[ QUOTE ]
I did some calculations a while ago. If you're a pretty big winner at whatever limit (>17% ROI), you shouldn't do this. Less than that, it's either around breakeven even or +EV for you to take this. Also this is assuming 55/45, because its not going to be 50/50.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I like his thinking and reasoning here, that since you can always start a new SNG and that doubling up will almost always put you in the money, that you're spending time in a tournament with a higher probability of cashing.

Why would you use ROI as a measurement of this play's EV? I may be a SNG newbie, but certainly we play to maximize our hourly rates, not our ROI. Certainly multitabling lowers ROI but people do it because it can increase their hourly winrate.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:35 PM

Default Re: FTOP vs SnG: example.

You're trading off the equity you already have by being in the game as a better player in exchange for the equity you gain as a 13 to 11 favorite. He's saying it's worth doing this if your ROI is less than 17%. The ROI is just a way of measuring the equity you're giving up.

I play low level, so I think I'd be correct in passing this up; but maddog is probably correct in taking it, assuming he's playing at a higher level. So we're both right. Yay!