Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 12-12-2005, 04:16 PM

Default STT- Toking Question- did I do the right thing?

100+20 Single Table Tourn in Fla
down to last two- we are dead even in chips (7600 to 7400)we chop. $375 each. I've never played let alone won a live STT, so I have no idea what to tip. I ask the dealer what he usually gets and he responds that he can't say. I press him a little but he doesn't budge. I throw down a $20 and ask him if that is 'in the neighborhood' he says yes and thanks me. The guy I chopped with also clearly had no idea what he was doing, as he threw down the $20 after me(which makes me think that I should not have taken the deal and played it out). The prick who finished in 3rd (seemed to be a regular) tipped 0-so that was no help.

What is the appropriate tip in this situation? was I way off? There are no (legal) B&M cardrooms within 4 hours of where I live and when I drive to AC I play mostly cash games, so it is not a situation that will come up often, but it is nice to know if/when it does. I would appreciate any thoughts.

Also, our table was directly next to the rail and the railbirds 'booed' the chop, never even saw that before. Has anyone else ever been 'booed' for chopping??
Old 12-12-2005, 04:28 PM

Default Re: STT- Toking Question- did I do the right thing?

100+20+20 (tip)

40% rake in case you didn't do the math

I have no idea what the standard practice is here, I just woulda been like "Here's a tip... the tip of my dick" and then proceeded to do some sort of victory dance and then verbally taunt all the other people you beat.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:29 PM

"Has anyone else ever been 'booed' for chopping??"

No, but I've been booed for NOT chopping.

Your tip looks fine to me but I'm no expert on dealer tipping.

FWIW, I know a popular 2+2er who won $4000 in a local tournament and tipped $20. So your $20 (in OP) should be fine I would think.

Best of Luck

Howard
Old 12-12-2005, 05:58 PM

I'm a dealer, Thank you sir.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:03 PM

I will assume that means it was an 'overtip' and your vague response is intentioned to keep me in the dark and keep me overtipping, which will benefit you and your ilk, I respect that. Otherwise you would simply tell me that I am a cheap bastard and that I should tip more.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:25 PM

I didn't read that much into the response, honestly. Maybe I'm just overly optimistic. I read it as saying that he simply appreciates that there are some folks out there that are generous towards dealers.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:52 PM

20 seems fine. Thats what I tipped when I won a small buy in tournament for $660. However, the dealers at that tournament were awful, otherwise I would have tipped more ($30 probably)
Old 12-13-2005, 01:22 PM

At some of the STTs I've chopped, we decided who would "take care of the dealer" as part of the deal making. That said, I've tipped $20 and seen others do the same for $125+rake STTs, although I've also seen a lot less tipped.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
100+20+20 (tip)

I have no idea what the standard practice is here, I just woulda been like "Here's a tip... the tip of my dick" and then proceeded to do some sort of victory dance and then verbally taunt all the other people you beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Post of the year....got my vote!
Old 12-13-2005, 05:14 PM

$20 from each end of a 2-way chop is about average for the $120 single table tournaments at SHRC Tampa. Generally, regulars lean towards 10% of net profit, which is probably a little high for those who aim to win long term.

ChewyMint