Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-11-2005, 03:24 PM

Default Is it OK to cold call in this situation?

I was down in AC the last 2 days playing 4/8 and there was this guy who was extremely LAG. He would raise every time he entered in a pot, no matter what 2 cards he had. Then postflop, he would either bet or raise. Once the river came, then he would either bet or fold. He lost about $350 in the 2 hrs. he was there, but that's beside the point. There were 2 situations where I wanted to limp in as the button but folded because he had raised. The first time, I had K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. The 2nd time, I had J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I folded both hands because I didn't want to cold call with them. Needless to say, both times the LAG was raising with garbage. Is it OK to call call here, or did I make the right move?
Old 12-11-2005, 05:00 PM

Default Re: Is it OK to cold call in this situation?

calling would be wrong.

you should raise to isolate or fold if you don't think it will isolate.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:53 PM

Raise to isolate if you're feelin LAGgy...

Definitely do not just call though.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:58 PM

Raise is ok if it's likely you can isolate him. Otherwise fold.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:31 PM

This was 4/8 at the Trop. It's an extremely loose game.
On both hands, 3 had limped in before he raised. Had I raised, I may have gotten the blinds to fold but I would have still been against 4. Isolating him here wouldn't work. There were 3 occasions I was able to isolate by re-raising when he was UTG and I was in MP.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise is ok if it's likely you can isolate him. Otherwise fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, that's basically what I did. Glad to see others agree.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was down in AC the last 2 days playing 4/8 and there was this guy who was extremely LAG. He would raise every time he entered in a pot, no matter what 2 cards he had. Then postflop, he would either bet or raise. Once the river came, then he would either bet or fold. He lost about $350 in the 2 hrs. he was there, but that's beside the point. There were 2 situations where I wanted to limp in as the button but folded because he had raised. The first time, I had K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. The 2nd time, I had J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I folded both hands because I didn't want to cold call with them. Needless to say, both times the LAG was raising with garbage. Is it OK to call call here, or did I make the right move?

[/ QUOTE ]
3-bet!!!!!!!
Old 12-11-2005, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
3-bet!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have if I knew I could isolate him. But I knew 3-betting wouldn't get anyone to fold except MAYBE the blinds.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:05 AM

As many have stated, 3-betting is your best option here. Though, I gotta disagree with some of the advice given on calling. I think calling with position vs. a LAG can indeed be profitable for a few reasons, including:

-It's likely the entire table has loosened its calling range to cater for the LAG, and thus it's less likely you're pre-dominated, etc.

-You’ll have great implied odds, and will often be paid off very well when you hit.

-Depending on your position, you may be able to isolate the LAG on the flop when you catch a vulnerable hand/draw.

-I think you're passing up many +EV situations when you fold a hand with sufficient equity to call on.

The point I'm trying to convey is there are many instances when calling is far superior to folding. For example, I'd definitely overcall in the following situation. Suppose 3 loose/passive opponents limped, and the LAG raised from MP. You're the CO with KTs, and suspect raising will rarely isolate the LAG. I think the above is a clear-cut example of a great place to overcall. While many situations will rarely be this straight-forward, I think you must give stronger consideration to calling 2 cold in the more marginal situations.

While 3-betting is obviously superior, calling is often a great alternative when some of the benefits of reraising are blunted down, i.e. inability to isolate. Folding may often be the worse line, and may cost you potential profit. Try to open up your cold calling range verse the LAG accordingly.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As many have stated, 3-betting is your best option here. Though, I gotta disagree with some of the advice given on calling. I think calling with position vs. a LAG can indeed be profitable for a few reasons, including:

-It's likely the entire table has loosened its calling range to cater for the LAG, and thus it's less likely you're pre-dominated, etc.

-You’ll have great implied odds, and will often be paid off very well when you hit.

-Depending on your position, you may be able to isolate the LAG on the flop when you catch a vulnerable hand/draw.

-I think you're passing up many +EV situations when you fold a hand with sufficient equity to call on.

The point I'm trying to convey is there are many instances when calling is far superior to folding. For example, I'd definitely overcall in the following situation. Suppose 3 loose/passive opponents limped, and the LAG raised from MP. You're the CO with KTs, and suspect raising will rarely isolate the LAG. I think the above is a clear-cut example of a great place to overcall. While many situations will rarely be this straight-forward, I think you must give stronger consideration to calling 2 cold in the more marginal situations.

While 3-betting is obviously superior, calling is often a great alternative when some of the benefits of reraising are blunted down, i.e. inability to isolate. Folding may often be the worse line, and may cost you potential profit. Try to open up your cold calling range verse the LAG accordingly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I am cetainly more than most a raise or fold guy, but many are overlooking some situations where you are losing alot of value by folding OR raising. Hands like small pocket pairs, one-gappers, etc. If you are going to get customers, then if you are in position go ahead and take a flop. Just keeping mind that if you have a very strong multi-way hand, like high suited cards, go ahead and 3-bet, because even if you are not able to isolate, you still likely have equity.