Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-09-2005, 03:49 AM

Default KT... I\'m too weak tight I think

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

MP2 ($40.23)
CO ($6.82)
Hero ($27.95)
SB ($19.17)
BB ($37.07)
UTG ($9.60)
UTG+1 ($17.10)
MP1 ($18.23)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.10.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO calls $0.25, Hero calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.85) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $0.25</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1</font>, BB folds, CO calls $0.75.

Turn: ($2.85) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, Hero checks.

River: ($2.85) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">CO bets $1</font>, Hero calls $1.

Final Pot: $4.85

Should I bet this turn, or just take the free card? I figure I'm probably behind with just the ten here. I think betting the pot on the turn might encourage villain to push all-in with his short-stack, and I'd rather just see the river cheap.

Yes? No?
Old 12-09-2005, 03:57 AM

Default Re: KT... I\'m too weak tight I think

You played it fine IMO. Overcard comes, fills in heart draw, no reason to go crazy with the bets.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:06 AM

I'd be more worried about the 7 than the Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], seeing as he opened the betting postflop.

I might have thrown out a tiny bet and see if I could get him to blow his load (raise my reduced bet) for cheap. If he just calls, I'd be pretty sure I'm still ahead. That's just personal preference, though. Have any reads on the guy?
Old 12-09-2005, 04:07 AM

Consider raising that preflop if you are going to play it with only one limper (If your game can handle that at this time). Other than that possibility, nh.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:11 AM

Honestly, KTo is too weak a hand to play in NL cash games. Just fold preflop.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. I think the button is too strong a position to not play in NL cash games. I would play a wide range here, but I would be raising pre-flop.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is nonsense. If you're a good post-flop player you could profitably raise worse hands than KTo.

EDIT: oh yeah, I think you should raise pre-flop if you're going to play.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Consider raising that preflop if you are going to play it with only one limper (If your game can handle that at this time). Other than that possibility, nh.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty new to this and not sure I understand. Are you saying that with more than one limper it is Ok to call? (based on pot odds I presume)

And advocating a raise, is this in the hope
(a) you have the best hand. Put the limper on small suited connectors (or unsuited connectors etc)?
(b) win the pot there and then?
(c) hit the flop?
(d) given the raise and position you can take down enough pots even without hitting the flop to make the raise profitable?
(e) all of the above? (which I suspect is the correct answer)

Cheers
Old 12-09-2005, 09:12 AM

I actually think the limp is fine here. If the pot was raised or you had worse position a fold should had been in order.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty new to this and not sure I understand. Are you saying that with more than one limper it is Ok to call? (based on pot odds I presume)

And advocating a raise, is this in the hope
(a) you have the best hand. Put the limper on small suited connectors (or unsuited connectors etc)?
(b) win the pot there and then?
(c) hit the flop?
(d) given the raise and position you can take down enough pots even without hitting the flop to make the raise profitable?
(e) all of the above? (which I suspect is the correct answer)

Cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

Mainly (b) and (d) in my view. (a) may well be the case but isn't that relevant since you will probably have to hit your hand to get to showdown. You have to be happy about winning the pot pf with KTo, but if called you will win with a continuation bet on the flop most of the time.

Another reason you didn't mention is to get HU against the limper. KTo doesn't like a multi-way pot and by folding the blinds you get dead money into the pot.