Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 12-07-2005, 12:59 AM

Default More likely to play bad cards when the first one is good?

I read in a book somewhere, some internet poker book, that an interesting scenario occurs in online poker.

In B&M almost everyone looks at both of their hole cards after they have been dealth simultaneously (there are exceptions of course)

On most major online sites as the cards are dealt around the table 1 at a time you get to see your first hole card briefly before your second.

The author of the book basically argued that if you receive a good first card (say it's the A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]) you are more likely to play a junk hand if hte second card is like 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

He states that due to the excitement of seeing a good card your brain gets into "get ready to play mode" and your eagerness to play might overwhelm your better senses.

Whereas if you got 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] first your brain gets into "fold" mode so you will almost certainly fold...

thoughts? I think there is some validitity to this, especially for players easily frustrated by playing tight or on a series of bad cards.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:46 AM

Default Re: More likely to play bad cards when the first one is good?

Back when I was single-tabling, I turned off animations in PartyPoker because I felt this tendency coming on. I'd like to think that I never actually succumbed to it, but more than once in a bad run I had found myself saying "Yay! An Ace! ...and an offsuit 4. Damn!"
Old 12-07-2005, 03:29 AM

Ill add to this.. it seems like when someone takes forever to take action online people will be willing to limp suited garbage more often...

Like a 84s grows on them the longer they look at it. Ive noticed I feel this urge somewhat while waiting to fold... Im like... "This is an autofold.... wait wait wait.... well, maybe if I get a couple of limpers in front of me..." sho nuff I end up limping crap I wouldnt normally
Old 12-07-2005, 03:40 AM

i have never experienced this.....bad players will look for reasons to play a hand or call for that matter
Old 12-07-2005, 03:41 AM

The idea of folding and waiting for the slow person to play out the whole hand is probably in the back of the mind as well.