Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 12-02-2005, 08:27 PM

Default Re: Marlins

yes, but I don't recall them winning the WS this year.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]baseball will not be in LV. Portland is more likely IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hijack:

If the Marlins move to LV or Portland will MLB re-align the NL divisions? LV/Portland in the West. Pirates move East? Colorado moves to the Central?

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes sense to me, except Colorado stays in the West with 6 teams. I don't think they'd want 3 time zones in the central division.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sucks to be a Marlins fan, once again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell me about it. They've been trying to move this franchise since Huizenga owned the team. Why they have two basketball arenas and one hockey arena in South Florida and no baseball stadium is beyond me. They had a great team for a couple of years here and there, but who the hell wants to watch baseball at Joe Robbie (now Dolphins Stadium or whatever they are calling it nowadays.) Baseball is so corrupt too in general, how any professional team can get away with dumping their entire payroll not once but twice is absurd, there needs to be some sort of regulation for this. I called to cancel my season tickets this year, they didn't even try to talk me out of it. Oh how I long for the days of Livan...

Edit: Can fish swim in the desert?
Old 12-03-2005, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Baseball is so corrupt too in general, how any professional team can get away with dumping their entire payroll not once but twice is absurd, there needs to be some sort of regulation for this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not possible because teams cant do anything if no one shows up. If they didnt get rid of the players the team would go broke. Look at these attendance numbers.

Attendance 2005

The Pirates had more people go to their games. Everyone knew the Pirates were not going to do anything this year, but most experts thought the Marlins had the best team in the NL, yet the Pirates had better attendance. Florida doesnt deserve a baseball team.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:08 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
yes, but I don't recall them winning the WS this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand why fans put up with, and support, organizations that do this type of thing over and over. The home team here is another prime example of constantly shorting the fans, yet they still show up.

b
Old 12-03-2005, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Florida doesnt deserve a baseball team.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a common opinion, but not fair to the true baseball fans in South Florida. You have to understand the whole "going to the ball game" experience we have to endure. Dolphins Stadium is NOT meant for baseball. Not only does the layout suck, but try sitting out in 99 degree heat in 99% humidity during the summer. Rain delays are so fun too. We've been trying to get a retractable roof stadium for years, but there's a lot of politics involved. Some say it's because the Marlins owner doesn't get along with other South Florida franchise owners. I've heard that lack of latin presence in the front office is another reason for lack of stadium support. It's ignorant to put the majority of the blame the fans IMO.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
baseball will not be in LV. Portland is more likely IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love Portland, but I can't see the Marlins making this big stink to get out of Miami only to move to such a small market. I also have heard that the financing on a Portland stadium is far from a done deal. A move to LV faces some serious obstacles, but it makes a lot more sense in the end for just about everybody involved.
Old 12-03-2005, 03:59 AM

As an Expos fan (well, former Expos fan), I say fans of any team who has two World Series titles in the past eight years ahouldn't be bitching about anything.

I don't care if the team sells off the good players. Sure, they're gone, and the immediate future looks bleak, but you've got those two titles and the memories that go with them.

Plenty of teams have ditched their good/expensive players; most have not given their fans two WS titles before the fire sales.

Do I sound bitter? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-03-2005, 05:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A move to LV faces some serious obstacles, but it makes a lot more sense in the end for just about everybody involved.

[/ QUOTE ] Well there is really no argument that the market is better. I simply think the betting aspect is just something baseball will not sway on. I personally think a NBA team will be the first pro team in LV anyways.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't understand why fans put up with, and support, organizations that do this type of thing over and over. The home team here is another prime example of constantly shorting the fans, yet they still show up.

b

[/ QUOTE ]
Question, how are the fans even supporting the Marlins? They voted against a new stadium, they rarely go to games. I guess it has been explained in this thread why Miami fans just don't go to games (viable reasons as well), but really, if the team trys to build a contender, fans don't show up, then the front office cannot continue to lose money on a team. They have to atleast try and make some money. To bad too, because I really liked last years team.