Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2005, 02:23 AM

Default when money at the job just doesnt matter...

I'd like to share a strange comment I made at work today. Basically Im in a production-based environment with goals, deadlines ect. Anyways end of month fo us determines our monthly bonus. Im an assistant manager and a 200-400$ monthly bonus is given on top of our base salary if we hit a certain level of production.

Anyways, I missed my monthly goal by like 4%, all because of a retarded mortgage broker and couple of employees I had to let go. To be honest, I couldnt care less. Well... another manager was complaining about his month too, and asked me why I was smiling and being so apathetic. I said "..you know I could give a damn about the money, I make more than that on a few hands of poker, I just worked for 3 weeks straight, I could have been playing poker on those weekends....."

I Just thought it was pretty funny (in a depressing way), and then I really started thinking about it...maybe me making almost as much in poker (part-time) as my fulltime job has had an impact on my drive at work?

A few years ago when I was a losing player I strived to get that bonus...but now, busting my ass for 50-60 hours a week for an extra couple hundred bucks? God I can make 5-6 times that in R/B alone!!!

Anyone else thought about this? Is the good health insurance, benefits, ect. worth the hours?

I think Im going to call in tomorrow.. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-02-2005, 02:35 AM

Default Re: when money at the job just doesnt matter...

Well if you read what most pros around here say, they absolutely can't put in 40 hours a week every week. I'd say the normal is 20-30 hours. So your "part-time" right now would be pretty close to what your "I quit my job now I'm a pro" full-time poker wins would be. Don't forget you'll lose all your benes.

And yes I realize that you work 60 hours + play 20 hours. I work 45 - 50 hours and play 10 - 20 and I like it that way. Also I never sweat a downswing ever because my job provides more than enough income for me to live on.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:10 PM

It depends on how much you like your job. If it's a paycheck and nothing else, then I'd imagine it would be hard to stay motivated at work in any case - and especially so if you're making as much at poker as your full-time job. If you don't need the money, and money's the only reason you're doing the job, then how can you stay motivated? On the other hand, if you like your job then you will stay motivated regardless of how your poker's going.

A steady paycheck, paid vacation, health benefits, etc... these are all nothing to sneeze at. But in the end it is a personal decision to take the risk and go pro. It depends on your own personality and situation. I personally am pretty risk-averse by nature, so I don't think I'd ever be cut out for the life of a professional gambler. If I didn't like my job or career (luckily I do), I'd probably be more likely to look for another one than play poker as my only income. But others have taken the plunge, gone pro, and are happy with their decision.

You should definitely read Ed Miller's series of article in the magazine if you're seriously considering going pro.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:14 PM

I feel the same way about my job...where overtime pays as though I'm hourly, even though I'm salaried...they pay at what my hourly rate would be times 1.5, which is nice...BUT...

I worked 32 hours of overtime in 5 days, and when I got my paycheck, it was only about $500 over my normal paycheck. Given that a session of 2/5NL this past week yielded $600 in about 2 hours, my desire to work overtime is pretty much nil.

That said, I still want to work in a normal job, because the life of a pro is not really all that good, even at the top levels...and I do better to think about poker as a hobby, rather than a job. For some reason, my game functions better when it is just something I do, rather than something I am.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:26 PM

Hi up,

I share your thoughts on this subject. And at times, I've often wondered if my success at the tables have caused me to NOT be as diligent in my work at the cubicle. Because of this, I have been reevaluating what I've been doing at work and need to decide how to start focusing better in 2006.

From the tone of your post, I don't think you are seriously thinking about playing poker as your main source of income, but more like a realization that work money may be desensitized due to poker. Although I'm sure it's been on your mind more and more these days. In my opinion, the fact that I have full benefits, retirement plan, great people with whom I work and in a trade that I am good at, it's something I would never let go to play a game. I guess it would depend on how much you make (both at work and poker) and how much you enjoy your work environment. However, in the end, when it comes to playing cards for a living, it all comes down to just one thing: How do YOU feel about doing so? Everyone's opinion differs, and it is neither right or wrong.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:29 PM

Overtime bothers me in general as a salaried person. As an occasional 1-2 day push, it's understandable, but if they expect overtime frequently and/or for extended periods of time that's a management issue. Management has failed to schedule work appropriate or staff appropriately.

With poker the opportunity cost of my spare time is more easily quantifiable (about $30/hour right now), but whether I wanted to play poker with that time or not, it's still has value.

I do agree though that poker really dimishes any drive to crank work for some bonus. The bonus is never as good as what I make from poker, so all things equal, I'd rather skip the work bonus and play poker.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For some reason, my game functions better when it is just something I do, rather than something I am.

[/ QUOTE ] Nice
Old 12-02-2005, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...I'd rather skip the work bonus and play poker.

[/ QUOTE ] It's not wrong to want BOTH, right?! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 12-02-2005, 03:02 PM

I understand completely what you are living. I had a job as a sales representative for a human ressources consultant firm, and I was paid entirely on commission on my sales.

This year, I made almost two times my job salary playing poker about 13 hours per week. I had no motivation to go on the small contracts and I was taking a lot of days off the work, as playing poker was paying me way more than working by the hour.

Most of the time I was surfing internet (read 2+2) when I was at the office instead of contacting clients and doing my work. There were some part of my job that I liked, but some that I didnt, and I was just not motivated to do the things I didnt liked.

So I'm quitting for now, and I will evaluate in a year or two, I was not able to continue to work in these conditions.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I do agree though that poker really dimishes any drive to crank work for some bonus. The bonus is never as good as what I make from poker, so all things equal, I'd rather skip the work bonus and play poker.

[/ QUOTE ] Exactly. At this point, it's purely economical, although the happiness factor is there, too...not to say there aren't downswings, but hey, that's what the salary is for.