Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-06-2005, 03:02 AM

Default Re: so yesterday i just kept hitting the call button

[ QUOTE ]

I think a very big distinction between a good player and a noob is being able to guage fold equity correctly. I remember playing like this myself (and hey, I still muff up a push from time to time). Not knowing where to pick you spots, giving up, when youre low on chips is a very big leak.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I'm not that good of a player, I'd like to add that I would guess that on top of gauging fold equity, part of it is being able to figure out whether or not the other players are good enough to understand fold equity. They might make an incorrect call even though you do have fold equity or make an incorrect fold even though your push might be 4x bb over 4 limpers. Not everyone understands that pot odds of over 2:1 makes calling with a lot of marginal hands the correct action.

Will
Old 12-06-2005, 03:11 AM

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing good players push worse hands than bad players. Short stacked good players know they have to push; bad ones let themselves be blinded away waiting for good hands.

Will
Old 12-06-2005, 03:16 AM

scratch all of this [censored]. i'm like 0 for 100 with Ax v junk in the last 3 days out of the blinds.

clearly this strategy is inferior.

i have 0 of 1 such posts remaining. [censored].

c
Old 12-06-2005, 03:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I think a very big distinction between a good player and a noob is being able to guage fold equity correctly. I remember playing like this myself (and hey, I still muff up a push from time to time). Not knowing where to pick you spots, giving up, when youre low on chips is a very big leak.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I'm not that good of a player, I'd like to add that I would guess that on top of gauging fold equity, part of it is being able to figure out whether or not the other players are good enough to understand fold equity. They might make an incorrect call even though you do have fold equity or make an incorrect fold even though your push might be 4x bb over 4 limpers. Not everyone understands that pot odds of over 2:1 makes calling with a lot of marginal hands the correct action.

Will

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. My favorite note on a player is "folds to great odds preflop".