Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Jeter or A-Rod to CF?

Do they have any prospects left on the farm to swing a deal for Juan Pierre? The Marlins seem ready to scrap the whole ball club again.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Giles will be 35 this year. He's not quite the player he was in his prime, but he still had an OPS of .906 and walked 119 times last year while hitting .301. His power numbers are down from his big years in Pittsburgh, but hitting in Yankee Stadium would help. He's certainly a far better option than Bubba or Bernie.

[/ QUOTE ]

The guy can hit and get on base, for sure. But he's not a center fielder, esp not in Yankee Stadium. That's my gripe.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:59 PM

I'd much rather have Giles than Pierre. Pierre doesn't walk much, has no power, and gets caught stealing far too much for somebody with his speed. .680 OPS last year. One Womack is enough.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:00 PM

I guess he plays right field? I suppose they could put Matsui in center. Hey, we won two World Series with Jackson, Rivers, and Piniella in the outfield, Giles, Matsui and Sheffield couldn't possibly be worse. And you put in Crosby for defense in late innings.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:05 PM

the prospect they have is Eric Duncan, i played with him on travel teams. hes a 3rd baseman and although his minor league stats arent great i am sure he will be a good player in the majors.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:06 PM

I'm not sure that OPS is a great stat to judge a leadoff hitter, but I think your other points are valid.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd much rather have Giles than Pierre. Pierre doesn't walk much, has no power, and gets caught stealing far too much for somebody with his speed. .680 OPS last year. One Womack is enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

He also has a [censored] arm, worse than Bernie from what I hear.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess he plays right field?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, supposedly either corner. And don't get me wrong, the guy is a very good hitter, a professional, to be sure. But the money plus the Giles doesn't solve our major problems thing plus his age makes me skeptical.

[ QUOTE ]
Hey, we won two World Series with Jackson, Rivers, and Piniella in the outfield, Giles, Matsui and Sheffield couldn't possibly be worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

We had better pitching then, no?

I don't know. It sounds to me like they're either going ot move either ARod or Jeter or go with Crosby and try to deal for a Cameron or something. Again.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:14 PM

Am I the only one who doesn't hate the Giles deal as much as everyone else? Bernie and Brown are dropping off the payroll, and if they don't make any other big deals they won't have given up any prospects and won't spend that much this offseason. The team can afford it, they havent made any other big FA deals yet.

Giles is >> Sheffield in RF, no? It would also let us DH sheff which could be very helpful, since sheff is old and slightly creaky.

as for jeter in CF... who knows. what a mess that is. if they make that switch, who will play SS and 3rd? its not like jeter will be better in CF, seems like robbing peter to pay paul, it doesn't make that much sense unless we have another all star SS coming in... "LOL".
Old 11-29-2005, 02:26 PM

If Giles is coming in as the RF so Sheff can DH, fine. But I thought Giles was coming in as the CF. Also, if Sheff DH's, Giambi plays every day??? That doesn't sound good. I thought a 1B was on the wish list as well....