Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 03:45 PM

Default Re: final table spot

[ QUOTE ]

more: the guy in the bb was amongst the shortest of the mid stacks, probably around 10k, and not showing any real signs of wanting to play lots of hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think if that's the case, why wouldn't call be the best answer?

I'll see if I can get a friend of mine from limit to respond. Although he doesn't have tournament experience, it might be interesting to get a take.

Cit, you didn't answer one of my main questions. What kind of hands do you think our utg raiser could have. Is it wider, narrow, or about what I posted?
Old 11-28-2005, 03:47 PM

sorry bro, i didn't see your above post, let me go see.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am assuming you are playing for the win.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reraise will probably isolate. Bet when it checks to you on the flop. Vomit in your mouth if he checkraises, but at this point you're basically all-in anyway.

Crazy 1-table tournament [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2005, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fairly tight for an UTG raise 9 handed is something like what? 99+, AJs+? Is that too wide? I think it's important to decide if calling or raising here is best based on what range you think villain has here. Do you have any VPIP numbers? Do you have any VPIP numbers for this guy in this position?

[/ QUOTE ]

table was fairly tight. utg had >7k. had probably 15k or 16k i guess i didn't put that above. utg is probably good enough to have considered the fact that the table had been playing ridiculously tight, and open his range up even farther than your range quoted. i don't have numbers like vpip, no, and the final table was only a couple dozen hands old.

[ QUOTE ]
Considering villain has 7k, he is likely committing his entire stack on this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

my bad, i don't think that i had said this somewhere, i said the guys to hero's left had shorter stacks.

[ QUOTE ]
Anyhow, once you consider that against the range I used, we're only 53% against that range, I think you could advocate a call if you were confident that you wouldn't get called by anyone behind (except perhaps the BB). Is BB gonna play this tight? Will he fold most hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm pretty sure bb is going to be folding this hand, without something big. the only player who will splash around at all is the big stack, and he hasn't even called a raise at the final table. he likes to play limped pots.

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's important to know BB's stack, and how he plays (if you know) in order to decide wether a call or raise is better here.[/quote

i hooked that up.

[ QUOTE ]
Anyhow, how are we going to play this postflop? I think that we are going to have a difficult time committing to this hand if we don't have 10 outs or more to improve if we whiff. If you completely whiff, are you the type of player who can call down with nothing? If your opponent has AJ+, can he bet the flop if he whiffs? How will he react by your just call vs a raise?

Ack, this is a difficult spot. You can't fold this hand though.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, i'm the type of player who can continue on a blanks board. yes, my opponent i believe could fire on the flop having missed, but i think could give it up on the turn, even check folding on the turn, which is a major reason it might be good to have a full turn bet behind for that case. i think that he's more likely to fold to me on the flop if i decide to raise with air if i have enough chips behind to do more betting in the rest of the hand. it all depends on my feel of the situation. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] for instance if i call here and leave myself like 5500, i could call a bet on the flop to see if he bets the turn, have 4k behind, and possibly fold on the turn if i wanted to, having enough to possibly move up in prizes (not all that likely, but also, not all that likely i'd take this line). at this particular table i don't know if 3 betting gets rid of anyone that would not have been scared off by the original bet and call, particularly because i think that due to factors you asked about, the bb is unlikely to play.

and yes, this is a difficult spot, sorta.

c
Old 11-28-2005, 03:59 PM

OK, than I think this is a call. Calling gives you more ammunition to play postflop, IMO.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:04 PM

Default Flop Play

You call, and as expected, it's heads up to the flop:

The flop comes 9 4 2 rainbow, and UTG bets. (you have 5500ish behind, the pot is currently 8250.)

Plan?
Old 11-28-2005, 04:07 PM

Default Re: Flop Play

[ QUOTE ]

The flop comes 9 4 2 rainbow, and UTG bets. (you have 5500ish behind, the pot is currently 8250.)

Plan?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you have two options here.

The first is to fold, wait for another hand/move up in pay.

The second is to call and hopefully this will scare him, he checks the turn and you raise- he folds.

I think raising is bad because you have nothing and he's going to call, it's building an even bigger pot and he's going to have more odds to call on the turn.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:08 PM

I don't think a raise accomplishes much besides tying both of you to the pot(especially if he decides to cap it). I don't hate it if BB comes along. Calling also gives you the option to let it go if it gets raised behind you and capped by UTG.

I personally don't mind going to the mat with this hand and probably raise any flop bet if we are heads up. This might leave him enough chips to lay down a hand.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:12 PM

Default Re: Flop Play

[ QUOTE ]

Plan?

[/ QUOTE ]
His bet doesn't really mean anything. He would continuation bet that flop with just about any hand. I don't know. I still think this is the best shot you're going to get. Which is why I rule out folding. Raising definately commits you. Perhaps call and see if he fires another shot on the turn? You'd have 4000 left if you call the flop and fold the turn. Not much to work with so I'm leaning towards just raising the flop.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:15 PM

hey cit

3 betting pf, betting the flop, checking the turn, and calling a river bet costs you 9k exactly. i think if you play your hand this way you will maximize the value of your ak pretty much no matter what falls.