Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-28-2005, 02:17 PM

Default Baseball HOF Ballot...Anybody Getting In This Year???

Rick Aguilera, Albert Belle, Bert Blyleven, Will Clark, Dave Concepcion, Andre Dawson, Gary DiSarcina, Alex Fernandez, Gary Gaetti, Steve Garvey, Dwight Gooden, Rich Gossage, Ozzie Guillen, Orel Hershiser, Gregg Jefferies, Tommy John, Doug Jones, Don Mattingly, Willie McGee, Hal Morris, Jack Morris, Dale Murphy, Dave Parker, Jim Rice, Lee Smith, Bruce Sutter, Alan Trammell, Walt Weiss, John Wetteland

Yikes. I think Sutter and possibly Gossage are the only guys deserving, although Tommy John should be recognized for his contributions to the game (if not his on-the-field numbers) somehow.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Baseball HOF Ballot...Anybody Getting In This Year???

i read on espn that some of the pre-steroid guys (as if anyone knows that for sure) may get a bump since their numbers don't have to 'compete' with raffy, giambi, et al.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:36 PM

Alan Trammell absolutely should get in, along with Bert Blyleven. I like Gossage and Bruce Sutter. Albert Belle? Will Clark? They wouldn't be the worst inductions...
Old 11-28-2005, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Alan Trammell absolutely should get in, along with Bert Blyleven. I like Gossage and Bruce Sutter. Albert Belle? Will Clark? They wouldn't be the worst inductions...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Belle has a pretty slim to none chance with the skepticism surrounding steroids from the mid-90s now. Clark did hit a HR off of Nolan in his first major league at bat, which should be an automatic qualifier for the Hall.

I agree about Blyleven and Trammell. Trammell has pretty similar WARP numbers and career OPS numbers to Ripken, with about 1/10th of the hype. The fact that Sandberg got in bodes well for him I think.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:56 PM

I would vote for Blyleven, Trammell, and Jim Rice.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:15 PM

surprised nobody has said Andre Dawson yet. When I read the list (and no, I can't quote lifetime stats), Dawson was the player who I thought would get the most consideration.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
surprised nobody has said Andre Dawson yet. When I read the list (and no, I can't quote lifetime stats), Dawson was the player who I thought would get the most consideration.

[/ QUOTE ]

he and dale murphy I have soft spots for. growing up in arizona...wtbs and wgn were the only baseball i got...those guys were both fun as hell to watch.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:48 PM

I think this is the year of the reliever. Sutter and Gossage and Negro Leaguers. Blyleven could get the bump too.

The thing about guys like trammell, Rice and Dawson is the seperation between 'all-star' and 'Hall of famer'. I think all three were great players but not transcendant ones, all three were amongst the best at their positions, but never the best (excepting Dawson in '87, Trammell in '87 and Rice in '78). I actually think Rice even making it to this discussion is a little rediculous, but I'm not from New England. If Jim Rice has his career anywhere else, no one's talking about him for HoF.

I've always felt that if the Hall is going to accept guys like this, putting them on an even footing with the Ruths of the game devalues the contributions of the true greats. I'd love to hijack this thread or start a new one with a 'who are the 50 best players of all time' kind of conversation that can separate those guys from their mortal Hall-mates, but I dont want any *'s under my nick.

Gary
Old 11-28-2005, 06:18 PM

I think that the relievers are long overdue, and with a weak crop of hitters, they have a better shot this year. Gossage, Smith and Sutter all should get some serious consideration.
As for the OP's suggestion that Tommy John should be recognized, I think you are slightly off track. I don't think John deserves induction but I think that Dr. Frank Jobe should be inducted as a contributor to the game, an old dormant category that has previously been used primarily to recognize some of baseballs founding fathers.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:24 PM

Dawson finished behind Sutter and Rice in the voting in 2004, and behind Sutter, Rice, and Gossage in 2005.

My guess is nobody makes it.