Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 10:56 PM

Default Re: So what type of new poker software would you LIKE to see?

Yeah, anything with more advanced analysis of play than currently available with PokerTracker and PokerStove. For instance, some tool that uses arbitrarily large "EV trees" over many factors like possible hand types, aggression frequncy, calling frequency, etc. that eventually helps me decide a tactic in a situation, like when to check to induce a bluff versus when to bet for value.

Or a simpler idea: a poker tracker add on that can do more advanced filtering, sort of a query front end, like: "show me all hands where I put in the last agression on the flop and checked behind the turn". I think this can be done currently with pokertracker, but would require direct manipulation of the database on the back end, wheras I'm thinking of a more user-friendly tool.

Another idea: I think someone in the SNG forums, eastbay most likely, wrote something of an "therotical EV vs. actual results" measurement tool. Basically, it parsed hands looking for situations were you went all-in, calculated what your EV was with the two hands involved, then tracked results, and over a sampling of these situations, told you if you were out-performing or udner-performing what you 'should be' given what you were getting in there with. Something akin to that for limit play could be interesting, although the idea could be too heavily handicapped by the fact that only hands with showdowns could be properly measured.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:28 AM

The author of SNG Traker has stated here that he no longer plays poker and is not continuing to support software. Most SNG players are using a beta version of this to track play, so there's really a need for a good SNG results tracker.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A simple program that has no real poker content but would be usefull would be one that would remember the locations of the tables on the screen. For example, I have a dual monitor setup. I play 5 tables on each, one on each of the 4 corners and 1 in the middle. An hour or so before I start to play I open up partymine and the 10 tables minimize to the bottom. If there was a program that could instantly remember where my tables should go when I get back, it would save some time.

[/ QUOTE ]
You want to use PartyPlanner. It's a free tool in alpha currently, and you'll have to email the people that run the site for a copy - but it works for exactly what you're describing: overcards.com
Old 11-25-2005, 08:27 PM

Stud tracker!
Old 11-25-2005, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stud tracker!

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, so she said last night.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What type of software do you WANT to see for poker? What tool do you just wish you had? It can be something that you use during live play obviously or something you use during non-playing to analyze your play.

[/ QUOTE ]

#1 thing I'd like to see is a hand replayer with stats overlay. I think it might be best if the PokerAce team did this, because they already have most of the engine in place. However, it seems they have a lot of plans to work on PokerAce, so I don't know when they would be able to release a replayer.

Another program I'd like to see is one that extracts hands where you saw the flop from pokertracker or hand history files into a new text file. Right now, you have to view a whole lot of hands where you were dealt 93o UTG and it adds time onto hand history review.

Can you tell I use PT replayer a lot? I think this is a large untapped resource that could be vastly improved. The next great software program(following Pokertracker and PAHud) should be a fully feautured hand replayer.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:37 PM

I would like an Auto-Berater. Like when someone hits their 2-outer on the river the program would automatically enter "Nice XXXing hand you XXXing moron" in the chat box. It should have customizable phrases and user definable "Auto-berate rules". It sure would save me a lot of time and energy.

Lost Wages
Old 11-28-2005, 08:04 AM

lost wages,

love the idea!
i would use it too...seriously.

cheers,
sean
Old 11-28-2005, 12:03 PM

I agree. I'd like to see a portable hand replayer (not web based, not PT). Something that would allow me to throw several hand histories for a tournament or for a ring game session then step through and pause at each decision I had to make. The abililty for me to add notes to different streets and save/export hands for more analysis later would also be useful.

I'm near the point myself where I'm just going to pay someone to develop this for me because I can't code in anything that makes a decent GUI.

The hand range program is interesting and something I've thought about myself. The ability to backtrack through PT and find previous similar situations is interesting. If you do choose this approach, I'd definitely recommend reading through the University of Alberta's research into opponent modeling if you haven't already.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:05 PM

Two thoughts.

1) As suggested, the notes in PP are not very good. There have been some posts in SS Limit about taking short-handed notes for particular situations that arise. Maybe through some brainstorming on these forums you could come up with a note taking program that is more form based (i know Microsoft forms some I use that as an example). Meaning for certain situations (e.g. raises suited aces, or bluff raised river, plays any ace, etc.) there could be a form with checkboxes (or something like this but better), where the user could click on a link next to the player name that opens this form and the appropriate situation could be checked. Alternatively the program could be made to be "smart" and do this for the user.

2) I think this is something more for PokerAce, but I thought it would be nice to see my stats viewed by my opponents. For example I might be perceived as +/- looser tighter, passive, aggressive by an opponents in his PT b/c he only has 100 hands on me. If I could see how each opponent perceives my play, I think it could add some benefit in certain situations.

Thought I would throw this out there.