Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 10:42 AM

Default Party 5$, 5-handed: Aggressive with draw

No reads, sorry.
I had just come out of my tight shell to steal blinds,
so I guess villain could be thinking I was pushing him around.
Thoughts?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (5 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

Hero (t1962)
MP (t1595)
Button (t1613)
SB (t861)
BB (t1969)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t400</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls t250.

Flop: (t875) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t1562 (All-In)</font>
Old 11-17-2005, 10:47 AM

Default Re: Party 5$, 5-handed: Aggressive with draw

I think raising UTG with KJs is pretty bad. With that flop, pusing isn't horrible given the pot size, but that preflop raise really sucks IMO.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think raising UTG with KJs is pretty bad. With that flop, pusing isn't horrible given the pot size, but that preflop raise really sucks IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

So I fold? Limping must be the worst alternative.
Maybe I've played too much 6-max, but KJs five-handed is not a bad hand in cash games, even UTG. (I'm relatively new to SNGs though...)
Old 11-17-2005, 11:36 AM

I think the push after the check and flat call preflop was definately the right move with your hand.

Playing the hand in the first place is what I am more interested in. I have had a lot of situations like this recently where I am not sure if I should fold or raise. I lean towards folding because they have seen you steal recently, 4 to act 3 of which make things very hard on you if they come over the top, and stealing doesn't greatly increase your relative position with the stacks the way they are. Curious on this since this has been my big dilema recently with these sort of hands close to or at bubble.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:38 AM

I fold this PF, being UTG. If I was on the button, maybe the CO THEN I'd bring it in for a raise, but there's too many players left to act here. Of course it always depends on your image, and how tight the table is playing, so this hand CAN be playable if the situation is correct.

I like the push on the flop though once checked to.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:55 AM

I really don't have a problem with the preflop raise in this situation (although I would have made it 450 or 500, but that is not a big deal).

It's 5 handed, the blinds are big enough to be worth stealing, I prefer to be aggressive on the bubble, and if I have to, I could fold to an all in re-raise from a tight player and still have a decent stack.

Raising UTG makes it less likely that you will be suspected of stealing. I might not do this if I had a read that the table was very LAG or the blinds were completely incapable of folding preflop, but without a read, I'm raising with this most of the time.

All in on the flop is fine. There is enough in the pot that I'd be happy taking it now, and if I get called, I've got plenty of outs.