Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 03:05 PM

Default Re: Can someone who is 30/20 post a starting hand chart?

Just a question for you guys. Are you following a chart? I have never done this. I know what type of hands are good(through pstove analysis) from which position but I dont follow it that rigorously. For example I might raise K9s utg one hand I might fold it the next. I might raise 77 utg one hand, I might limp it the next(yes I limp small pps at some tables). Is this strange to you all?
Old 11-16-2005, 03:06 PM

Of those hands you mention, thne only ones I might disagree about are:

-Raise A2s after a limper from CO (and maybe even MP). I can see doing this, but can also see folding.
-Raise K8o after the CO limps: I would fold here.
-Reraise ATo after an open raise from a somewhat agressive MP (and from almost any CO). If MP was very aggressive, I'd reraise too, but against unknown I fold.

Curious what others think of those.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Open raise JTs from MP -

[/ QUOTE ]

I open-raise JTs and QJs from UTG and I am 26/19
Old 11-16-2005, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Open raise JTs from MP -

[/ QUOTE ]

I open-raise JTs and QJs from UTG and I am 26/19

[/ QUOTE ]

I do also, and last time I checked, I was something like 22/17. I really believe that the difference between us is mostly blind defense, much more so than steals or playing from other positions.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of those hands you mention, thne only ones I might disagree about are:

-Raise A2s after a limper from CO (and maybe even MP). I can see doing this, but can also see folding.
-Raise K8o after the CO limps: I would fold here.
-Reraise ATo after an open raise from a somewhat agressive MP (and from almost any CO). If MP was very aggressive, I'd reraise too, but against unknown I fold.

Curious what others think of those.

[/ QUOTE ]
I usually fold A2s. I'll raise K8o depending mostly on the CO and partly on the blinds. I 3bet ATo against most MP open-raises.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:31 PM

Open raise JTs from MP. good
Raise A2s after a limper from CO (and maybe even MP). bad
Raise K8o after the CO limps. bad
Limp 64s after 3 limpers only on the button
Limp T7s after 3 limpers.
on the button and after 2 is ok. serioulsy, how often do you see 3 limpers at 5/10 and 10/20. these hands add like .1% to vpip.

Reraise ATo after an open raise from a somewhat agressive MP (and from almost any CO). make sure opp is aggro, like 16 pfr and 30 atsb

Cold call 22 on the button after a raise and 2 cold calls, or after a limp-limp-raise. ok

the situations you describe rarely come up and wont add anything substantial to vpip. the a2s and k8o i never do and i a 26/20.

to the op: the best way to get to 30/20 is by opening your raising hands on the button and your defending hands in the bb. i would suggest starting on the button. steal with 87s, j8o, k7o, k2s, q6s, q8o, a2o. clearly, it should depend on the bb and sb how low you want to go with these. if you are against tough aggro defenders you may want to hold back some until you are more comfortable. still, this should get you to about 20pfr and 35 atsb. i would concentrate on button play until you are happy and comfortable with your blind stealing play.

after you are happy with your button play then start to defend in the bb with a lot more hands. i am starting to defend about any 2 cards with some sort of highcard value or connectivity.

i dont recommend doing both to start with bc you will be inundated with so many new situations that it would be very easy to get discouraged. also, by starting with button play you will see what kind of blind play is the most annoying and you can emulate those guys.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:41 PM

How far out of your way do you go to isolate a loose opponent? I think table selection (in addition to blind stealing and defense) has a lot to do with getting your VPIP/PFR up.

What I mean is, my stats went up when I began being very careful to make sure I am sitting directly to the left of a loose player. Depending on your seat and who is left to act you can really raise with a lot of hands that aren't on the "chart" and still be profitable.

I think Rory made a post a while back saying not to worry so much about your overall stats but pay attention to your hand strength vs. your opponents starting range. If you are sitting to the left of someone who plays 70% of his hands you can raise with just about any two cards higher than 8 if you think there's a decent chance everyone else will fold enough.

If the person on your right raises 30% of their hands you can 3-bet with just about any hand that you would normally see a flop with. Your going to get HU with them quite a bit with a better hand and position.

If you choose the right seats at the right tables and really try to isolate your VPIP and PFR will go up.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:42 PM

Victor,

What is the lowest K you raise after a CO limper? I ask because I will raise K8o sometimes if blinds are tight. KTo is obviously obvious. what about K9o?

Great point about working on button first and then BB. I like.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Raise A2s after a limper from CO (and maybe even MP). bad
Raise K8o after the CO limps. bad

[/ QUOTE ]

The A2s is not bad. I dont follow hand charts but if I remember correctly, even the chart that flows around here says to do this.

K8o is an intresting situation as I dont want to fold. Depends I think I mix this up depending on the blinds.

Also to OP: I dont think some of the guys u mentioned are 30/20 in 6max, there was a thread about this and if I remember most ppl that are 30/20 play a lot of 5 handed or less. So the stats are looser than they would be if u filtered it. I know Im in that situation, when I filter Im like 28/20 in 6-handed exclusivly or something like that.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:07 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

- stop limping almost completely
- play lots of hands on the button
- steal a lot
- make some loose calls in the blinds