Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 02:26 PM

Default quitting vs firing

I'd appreciate whatever info people might share regarding quitting a job vs getting fired. I know this has been discussed at various points before in OOT but I can't find a truly definitive thread. I don't really have the time to type out the whole situation and its not that interesting, just typical stupid job bs. Anyway, I'd really appreciate any info or experiences people have to share. Thanks.

and here's a link to ... salma (not nude but big and possibly NSFW)
Old 11-15-2005, 02:28 PM

Default Re: quitting vs firing

SO are you asking whether you should try to get fired? Who are you, George Costanza?
Old 11-15-2005, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd appreciate whatever info people might share regarding quitting a job vs getting fired. I know this has been discussed at various points before in OOT but I can't find a truly definitive thread. I don't really have the time to type out the whole situation and its not that interesting, just typical stupid job bs. Anyway, I'd really appreciate any info or experiences people have to share. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well at my last position I didn't really like it and was looking for a new job/thinking of quitting. I ended up getting let go and got a nice severance package out of the deal. Start messing up at work - not enough to get fired for misconduct, but enough to let them know you don't give a [censored] about the place - and they will let you go with a nice 10 or 20K gift for your "troubles"
Old 11-15-2005, 02:31 PM

getting fired is almost always a bad thing.

Especially if you would like to remain in the field you are currently in.

You more than likely won't get good references or anything from a company that fires you.

Also, getting another job is much easier if you currently have a job.

MMMMmmmm, Salma.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well at my last position I didn't really like it and was looking for a new job/thinking of quitting. I ended up getting let go and got a nice severance package out of the deal. Start messing up at work - not enough to get fired for misconduct, but enough to let them know you don't give a [censored] about the place - and they will let you go with a nice 10 or 20K gift for your "troubles"

[/ QUOTE ]

ha....if 10 or 20k was likely i wouldn't even think twice about this...
Old 11-15-2005, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SO are you asking whether you should try to get fired? Who are you, George Costanza?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't have to try hard at this point. I'm more wondering what the differences are in the end between the two. Are companies under any obligations when they fire someone? If you quit do you forfeit any possibilities?
Old 11-15-2005, 02:38 PM

If you quit you cannot get unemployment. I know that.

I think there is at least an opportunity to get it after being fired.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you quit you cannot get unemployment. I know that.

I think there is at least an opportunity to get it after being fired.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I've heard mostly the same.

Anyone know if "two weeks" is courtesy or good for another reason than not pissing off your current employer.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't have to try hard at this point. I'm more wondering what the differences are in the end between the two. Are companies under any obligations when they fire someone? If you quit do you forfeit any possibilities?

[/ QUOTE ]

Shajen's main point stands - it's always better to quit then be fired with regard to career longevity and your next step (if you want to stay in the field).

However - if the above doesn't really apply - then getting fired may be better. Here's why (this is knowledge culled from a situation involving a friend at Disney, who was a lowly assistant, hated her job, and was deciding on whether to quit or be fired)-

1) Unemployment Benefits - Depending on the state you live in, you will likely get unemployment benefit $ (this is true in CA, where getting terminated gives you benefits, whereas quitting you won't. Although, if you were grossly negligent at your job, and your employer tells that to the unemployment board, then i believe you will not get benefits, so gotta make sure you konw what the employer will say).

2) Severance - I donno she got severance. I doubt you get that if you quit. Look to see if you qualify if fired.

If you have lawyer friends, I'd call them and ask them to walk you through unemployment benefits and what would qualify you.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:42 PM

Short term if you get fired then you will be able to collect unemployment benefits pretty much right away (I think).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here but if you are fired the employer has to show proof as to why you are ineligible for benefits. I'm not sure how hard that is to do though, but I bet its not worth the trouble.

I'm not sure about the long term here. Getting fired never looks good and you definitely lose out on any chance of getting a good reference from your current employer. On the same note though due to lawsuits and such if you do get fired its highly unlucky your old employer will tell any new employers the reasons for your termination.