Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 11-15-2005, 03:30 AM

Default Re: The heat is on. Fox News special review

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Personally I think the status quo is pretty awesome. Oil, a product that almost everyone on the planet uses in large quantities, only costs $2.50 a gallon. How cool is that?

You know why we aren't using any alternative energy sources at the moment? It's because oil is cheap. When hydrogen fuel cells become cost effective, then people will use them. Same for wind, solar, whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's not. The smalley's video or pdf transcript explains why. Energy supplies decreasing, energy demands increasing, china comming online, and all of our current technologies simply aren't scalable or able to provide cheap energy. Fuel cell problem = platinum. All of this has been covered before in much greater detail.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would think that the oil companies themselves would be working very hard at the next energy source because whoever figures it out, is gonna make Bill Gates look poor.

[/ QUOTE ]

problem = patents don't last that long and fusion plants take a long time to build.

man I need to stop entering this forum.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Personally I think the status quo is pretty awesome. Oil, a product that almost everyone on the planet uses in large quantities, only costs $2.50 a gallon. How cool is that?

You know why we aren't using any alternative energy sources at the moment? It's because oil is cheap. When hydrogen fuel cells become cost effective, then people will use them. Same for wind, solar, whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's not. The smalley's video or pdf transcript explains why. Energy supplies decreasing, energy demands increasing, china comming online, and all of our current technologies simply aren't scalable or able to provide cheap energy. Fuel cell problem = platinum. All of this has been covered before in much greater detail.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's clear that you know a lot about global warming and alternate energy technologies. But I think that your understanding of economics could use some work. If energy supplies are decreasing (which is unclear), and demand for energy is increasing (which it definitely is), then the price of energy will go up. The price will go up until the point where alternative energy sources become cost effective. When they become cost effective, they will be invested in, and their cost of production will eventually come down, until it is cheaper than it was before.

There is simply no need for a massive bureaucratic government effort on something the market deems is not yet necessary. When the market wants it, it will get done, and it will be done better and cheaper.

Have a little faith in the market, brother.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes Wacki, if you want to leave it up to markets this is exactly what is needed FAITH. This is why those that believe in the market do so with such a religous zeal.

Te market is the solution end of discussion.
Christ was the son of God end of discussion.

One is not allowed to profer the blasphemy that maybe in this case the market is not the solution and the great satan government should get involved.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When the market wants it, it will get done, and it will be done better and cheaper.

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously don't know the history of penicillin, the atomic bomb, almost every major vaccine known to man...

college textbook challenge..
Old 11-15-2005, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes Wacki, if you want to leave it up to markets this is exactly what is needed FAITH. This is why those that believe in the market do so with such a religous zeal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love it! You snip the whole post and the economic argument and respond to the humorous remark at the end. I knew when I used that expression some nut would come out of the woodwork. Would you care to address the actual economic point of my post?

[ QUOTE ]
Te market is the solution end of discussion.
Christ was the son of God end of discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did I say it was the end of the discussion?

[ QUOTE ]
One is not allowed to profer the blasphemy that maybe in this case the market is not the solution and the great satan government should get involved.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can profer anything you like. Would you care to actually back it up though, that's the question.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:51 PM

I summarised your arguement perfectly.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When the market wants it, it will get done, and it will be done better and cheaper.

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously don't know the history of penicillin, the atomic bomb, almost every major vaccine known to man...

college textbook challenge..

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually no, I don't know the history of penicillin or any major vaccine. It's not my field.

However, I know a fair bit about the history of atomic weaponry. And I'm not sure what your point is.

And what is a "college textbook challenge" ?
Old 11-15-2005, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol. End of discussion, ay? You're a joke.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol. End of discussion, ay? You're a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose the idea that I summerised an "arguement" could be construed as amusing.

The idea that the market allows for perfect distribution of goods and services and that any human interference can only impact on this in a negative fahion is one that is totaly dependent on faith.