Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

View Poll Results: Seed 6 vs Seed 11
6) Seven of Spades 69 46.62%
11) Microwave Oven 79 53.38%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-11-2005, 11:31 AM

Default Re: Best Creedence Clearwater Revival Album?

FYI, Mardi Gras is the non-Tom Fogerty album.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I also think that Bryan Johnson AC/DC is pretty terrible compared to Bon Scott AC/DC. Back in Black wasn't that bad (tho no High Voltage) but things went rapidly downhill after that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't even like BinB halfasmuch as Bon stuff...that said, you gotta enjoy the iconoclastic meathead joy of something like Thunderstruck...maybe that's just based on being 13 and hearing that song amongst a bunch of Poison and Winger on 98Rok and being like "damn!"...The late 80s were a very very bad time.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:49 AM

That was my point exactly - Creedence is one of those bands (for me anyway) where there is absolutely no purpose to own anything except their greatest hits album. They did "their thing" well, but it gets *very* tiring/monotonous to listen to beyond the hits.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think his point (if he has a point, heheh) is that CCR doesn't really have a definitive album, but each album has a couple of great songs and a bunch of snoozers...Really tho', are they the kind of band that has one great song and they remake it on every album to greater or lesser success? This is a good thing in my opinion. Eclecticism is the bane of modern rock.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with every sentiment expressed here. I think Pendulum and Mardi Gras are albums w. a few good tunes and a bunch of snoozers, but the rest are fairly solid the whole way through, esp. the three I named in my first post. CCR had a "sound" but it wasn't "one song." Many of the songs that make up their sound are very different from each other. "Lodi" and "Travelin' Band" for instance. Maybe I'm wrong tho, I could be too close to their music.

As to the second part, I don't know about that either...some bands do well with the same thing (Bon Scott AC/DC for one, Tom Petty), some fall flat when they try to reinvent themselves (Axl Rose is the biggest example, tho I include Petty in this group too), some reinvent themselves rather well. I have always been a John Mellencamp fan, and one of the things I like about him is he doesn't keep making Uh-Huh over and over again, his albums are different every time. Do some of his fans find his newer music less accessible than The Lonesome Jubilee? Sure, but that's their problem. It's great music.

I liked your post on AC/DC, and I think you're right...Thunderstruck and tunes like that sounded a lot better when they were surrounded by glam hair metal pussies.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:59 AM

They're all damn good, so I didn't vote.

As far as songs go, my favs are Suzie Q (album cut of course) and Fortunate Son.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:59 AM

FWIW, Fortunate Son is my favorite CCR song, as well as one of the most bad-ass, balls-out songs in rock history.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:04 PM

Probably Cosmo's Factory, but let's be realistic. Call Chronicle what you want, it's the only real staple in CCR's collection.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Probably Cosmo's Factory, but let's be realistic. Call Chronicle what you want, it's the only real staple in CCR's collection.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever. It's fine if you just like the radio songs of any particular band, but to just say that like it's fact or something is insane. Excepting the last two Creedence albums, I think they're all staples, and some of the best albums of their time.

And Chronicle doesn't have "Wrote A Song For Everyone," "Midnight Special" or "Cotton Fields" on it, so clearly more Creedence is needed than that.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And Chronicle doesn't have "Wrote A Song For Everyone," "Midnight Special" or "Cotton Fields" on it, so clearly more Creedence is needed than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chronicle Vol. 2 does though...
Old 11-11-2005, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Chronicle Vol. 2 does though...

[/ QUOTE ]

Another point. CCR had so many good tunes on their album that there are two Chronicle volumes each with 20 songs, but there's only 65 songs on the albums listed here. So about 2 out of every 3 Creedence songs are on their greatest hits collection. Very few artists have that high of a percentage of solid work.