Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 04:57 AM

Default Having to regroup..suggestions..advice...motivational words...

What's going on guys. I mainly lurk in this particular forum(MTT regular) but I have recently taken up SH poker instead of my usual 15/30 full ring games.

I began playing short handed again about a month ago. I've always considered myself a good HU/SH player in limit, and NL. I jumped right into 3/6 SH and ran at about 2bb/100 through 15K hands. And immediately jumped right into 5/10SH.

In 5/10SH I was running at about .75bb/100(not fabulous I know) through my first 16K hands when the whole world has fallen apart. I'm not trying to post any bad beats, or any woe is me stories...but I seriously am completely clueless as to what happened to my game. It just doesn't make any sense.

In my last 6200 hands I am down 230bb. My VPIP and PFR are very close to being unchanged. My W$SD is only slightly down(still above 50%) and my WTSD% is only 1-2 points lower.

Regardless.

Tomorrow, I move back down to 3/6 to try and work on my game. It seems silly, because I know I can beat 5/10...but I'm obviously missing something. Does anyone have any kind of advice for me? What sorts of things usually cause big down swings like this? I thought about taking a few days away from poker, but I really don't think it's really effecting my play, I've been a successful player for about 5 years(mostly SNG and MTT) and I'd like to think I'm fairly tilt proof.

Anyways. I know alot of you have been through 300bb+ downswings. What kind of time frames were these in? What did you work on in order to get out of the funk? Help, for I am officially humbled.

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2005, 05:33 AM

Default Re: Having to regroup..suggestions..advice...motivational words...

I've had a few up- and downswings at both 5/10 and 10/20 of 200 BBs in less than 2k hands. I've had bigger too but in bigger timeframes. You can burn through 2-300 BBs quite fast in SH and 200 BBs really isn't much. I'm sure others in here can show you some horrible graphs of their greatest downswings but I'm at my day-job so I have nada [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

One of the many things I do wrong when I am on a downswing that is getting under my skin is I usually find myself doing machinelike betting into people way too much or I get overaggressive. When my A-something don't hit anything for the 20th time in a row and when JsJd see a AhKh5h flop for the 50th and I still keep going bet-bet-bet into my call-call-calling opponents, that's when I know I need to rethink what I'm doing.

Other than that it's the standard anti-tilt-stuff. If you're into exercise that usually helps me out a lot, jogging is good for me because it takes a bit of time and it really clears my head with the fresh air and all. When I get too tired while running I think of poker hands to help me keep my mind off wanting to give up. Before I know it I want to play poker again and I start sprinting home...

I am horribly results-oriented so I usually like to take a look at my winnings, graphs etc for confidence.

I also sometimes play at a higher limit that usual when I feel that my play starts to suffer from being on a downswing but that's probably not the best advice [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I usually do it because I know it helps me focus more.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:50 AM

Here's a good post krishan wrote on some tips to work out a downswing.

I pulled through a 350 downswing in september, but my mental health was definately tried during it.

Just focus on getting better...post hands, take more time to make well thought out decisions.

We've all been there, you'll pull out [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2005, 05:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In my last 6200 hands I am down 230bb.

[/ QUOTE ]

This happens to everybody. Even the best players get downswings like this sometimes and if your winrate is "only" 1-2BB/100 you get them more often. Probably at least once every 50K hands...
Old 11-08-2005, 05:58 AM

study hard and work hard to improve your game. try to stay away from autopilot. continue to think away from the tables.

if you improve your winrate, the variance may still be the same but the negatives will be less extreme.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if you improve your winrate, the variance may still be the same but the negatives will be less extreme.

[/ QUOTE ]

And try to think even more positive: Improve your winrate and the positive variance WILL be more extreme. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2005, 06:10 AM

You should use tiltblocker if you don't already. It actually really helps you focus.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You should use tiltblocker if you don't already. It actually really helps you focus.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find tiltblocker very helpful when in the midst of a downswing. I know some would consider it weak and say I'm being too results oriented, but it really helps me concentrate on playing the hand well instead of worrying about whether it might cost me money in the short term.

I don't think it's a good idea to use it all the time. It really is more beneficial to learn to become comfortable with the swings. However, it is useful for those times you know you're starting to tilt and you want to continue to play.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:35 AM

Sorry for the Noob question. But what is tilt blocker? Can I get it at the drugstore? Just kidding, but seriously, tilt is a drain on my game occassionally. Thanks
Old 11-08-2005, 10:12 AM

Never mind- I found it. Does something really so simple help? Based on the thread I read- I will try it.