Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 01:23 AM

Default Donk, Donkey, and other uses of the word

Is the term "Donk" as referring to poker a 2+2 only term? I ask this question b/c I occasionally come across players w/the term donk in their screen name. Is it same to assume they are 2+2ers or do other poker sites and players know this term?
Old 11-07-2005, 01:29 AM

Default Re: Donk, Donkey, and other uses of the word

Comes from Phil Hellmuth's crazy-ass Triple Draw rant from Paul Phillips' blog. After losing a hand, Hellmuth gets pissed off and starts fat-fingering keys, calling the other player a "jopke" and claiming that "donkeys alwasy draw."
Old 11-07-2005, 01:31 AM

Cardplayer columnist Thomas Thunder Keller devoted an article to the use of the word Donkey. This was several months ago. Also, you can hear some of the young tournament pros calling eachother donkeys on tv or in cardplayer video streams.

Its not a 2+2 thing, except in the small stakes forum a donk bet is when someone keeps leading at you on later streets after you raise them without once 3 betting you.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:38 AM

Hi me454555,

I've thought about this also. I was playing at Commerce today and overheard some bantar between two players and one of them said, "...yeah, as if I'm some kind of donkey who's going to suck out on him...". I was going to ask him if he's a poster, then realized I'd rather not know.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Cardplayer columnist Thomas Thunder Keller devoted an article to the use of the word Donkey. This was several months ago. Also, you can hear some of the young tournament pros calling eachother donkeys on tv or in cardplayer video streams.

Its not a 2+2 thing, except in the small stakes forum a donk bet is when someone keeps leading at you on later streets after you raise them without once 3 betting you.

[/ QUOTE ]

No what you are referring to is a "stop n go."

EXAMPLE STOP N GO: You open raise AK and BB calls.

FLOP: K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB bets, You raise, BB calls. or BB checks, you bet, BB raises, you 3bet BB calls.

But the turn will have to be a BB lead to make it a "stop n go."

TURN: K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB bets......

A "donk bet" is more passive and irrational than the "stop n go."

SAME PREFLOP SITUATION EXAMPLE: You open raise AK and BB calls.

FLOP: K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB checks, You bet, BB calls

TURN: K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB bets.....

And that my friend is a "donk bet." [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]