Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > Two Plus Two Internet Magazine
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 12:01 PM

Default I Quit My Day Job

It sounds like this guy really hates his life. I mean it seems like every month there is a new article about how being a pro sucks. I know it is a BIG step, I know it is not for everyone. Does someone really need to write an article every month telling me this?

It almost seems like they regret their choice to go pro, they slam poker and make their lives seem miserable. Well, guess what then quit. Quit! And that is the same advice I'd give to anyone else. If you go pro and don't like it, then [censored] quit. Just like anything quit and go back to your old job.

December 2+2 Magazine
"Playing poker for a living"

Playing poker for a living is a big step. It can be a hard life but some people like it and are successful at it. Make sure you have a backup plan if you try it and if you aren't successful/hate it then you can go back to your old job no harm done.

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2005, 01:49 PM

Default Re: I Quit My Day Job

I don't hate my life. The point of this article was to be a response to Dr. Schoonmaker's earlier articles. Alot of people here are considering making the jump, I just wanted to give them the point of view of someone who has. I by no means am telling people to not make the jump, I'm just trying to tell you what it is really like. It's a grind.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:26 PM

Honestly, these articles are beginning to piss me off.

"Boohoohoo I make money sitting at home on my computer, what an awful life, nobody loves me, I have no friends, I'm fat and have no future."

Tell it to young grads with degrees that are leading them to dead end jobs, or the construction worker finishing cement on cold winter days or mothers who have to leave their kids at home to make ends meet waitressing.

Poker if learned properly can be a great career opportunity, especially for the entrepenurial. Imagine not having to have a mortgage on your first home or condo? How many people would be willing to lead a hard life if they could actually own their property within 3 years of playing? Many people are doing this now but it will take them 20 or 30 years.

The health issue is such a joke I don't even want to comment, but I must: Go to a God Damn Gym 3 times a week for one hour. Do it in the morning when the games are not great. Health problem solved! Who knows, you might even make a friend!

As for Dreary life: welcome to reality. You think it is mor fun spending 60-70 hours at some other job for less money? If you can't take one or two days off a week to spend exclusively with family, friends, or girlfriends, you have a serious gambling problem. Get help!

There are so many upsides to poker that the downsides are negligible unless you already have a job and life you love. You make out of life what YOU WILL.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:28 PM

I love you.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the downsides are negligible

[/ QUOTE ]

Spoken like a truely inexperienced person.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:54 PM

Hey! You're not Angry any more!!

It is to be expected that players who haven't made the switch wil be offended by parts of this article. I certainly appreciated the points brought up by the author. Also, making money at 3/6 is easy for those who know how to do it. 50K a year seems like a reasonable estimate for online profit at 3/6. I understand that there are plenty of posters here who don't "get" Limit HE, but for those who do, this statement is taken as an easily understood truth.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As for Dreary life: welcome to reality. You think it is mor fun spending 60-70 hours at some other job for less money? If you can't take one or two days off a week to spend exclusively with family, friends, or girlfriends, you have a serious gambling problem. Get help!

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-02-2005, 08:41 PM

quotes like these just crack me up... don't buy into the myth. You don't have to spend 60-70 hours a week working. I never have, and am very sucessful, and I can play poker 15 hours a week or so for a second small source of income (but mainly a hobby).
Old 11-02-2005, 09:41 PM

I think doing anything for 8 hours a day 5 or 6 days a week is a grind. But if you have the brain for poker, surely it is a much easier grind than other jobs. And I'm sure after making a significant amount of money, it becomes even easier because you will be financially secure.

All the dreariness and depressing talk has nothing to do with poker, but about being unsatisfied with life. I think many of you guys who are single feel unloved.

So go find Jesus or a girlfriend or something and stop trying to make us want to kill ourselves.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:46 PM

2 years of working online at home. I love it baby. And I have enough interests, hobbies and girls to occupy my spare time. To Hell with the rat race.