Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 02:49 PM

Default Re: OT: Stanford Prison Experiment

The Stanford experiment was stopped when they thought some bad things were going to happen, and since they didn't foresee such things, it wasn't unethical in the first place, and all the participants gave informed consent. The Milgram Experiment wasn't unethical either, just had shocking results. In fact, it was replicated many times in many different countries and passes every ethical committee.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:12 PM

are you sure?

i seem to remember that Milgram was one of those examples they used in the ethics portion of all my Social Psych (my degree is in Comm, a branch of Social Psych) pre-req courses.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
are you sure?

i seem to remember that Milgram was one of those examples they used in the ethics portion of all my Social Psych (my degree is in Comm, a branch of Social Psych) pre-req courses.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that Milgram had ethical problems too because of the distress the subjects experienced when they thought they hurt or killed someone.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:23 PM

Absolutely, but it wasnt because of that, it was because they were mislead as to the fact that the person was an actor. It all came down to lying beforehand.

Way off subject, but does anyone else remember the experiment where they had some guy dress up as a cat in front of a baby, and then make loud noises? Dude grew up scared shitless of furry animals.

Ah well, all in the pursuit of science, I guess..
Old 11-02-2005, 03:27 PM

You're referring to the Little Albert experiment by Watson.
Really sick stuff there, but it was the 20's.
Little Albert eventually got rid of that furry phobia.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
are you sure?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes they do use that example because it's become some kind of myth. I've debated this subject at large (I'm a psychology student) and have read articles from Milgram and from his detractors from back then.

To address the distress caused to the subjects argument, Milgram offered them psychological assistance right after the experiment. Also, months later to shut up his critics he mailed all of his subjects a questionnaire asking if they regretted participating to the study or if they liked it, etc. and only something like an absurdly low % like 0,3 reported negative feelings.

I work on some experiments in that field and I am certain that more than that amount of subjects hate participating to our experiments (of course they're paid...)
Old 11-02-2005, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're referring to the Little Albert experiment by Watson.
Really sick stuff there, but it was the 20's.
Little Albert eventually got rid of that furry phobia.

[/ QUOTE ]

On the other hand, that was textbook unethical... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2005, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
, just had shocking results

[/ QUOTE ]

I just caught this (I'm kinda slow).
Old 11-02-2005, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
months later to shut up his critics he mailed all of his subjects a questionnaire asking if they regretted participating to the study or if they liked it, etc. and only something like an absurdly low % like 0,3 reported negative feelings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you seen the original film? Do you know if the participants saw the film prior to being asked their feelings about participating?
Old 11-02-2005, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Have you seen the original film? Do you know if the participants saw the film prior to being asked their feelings about participating?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have seen 2-3 films on it, some were recreations and some had some original footage, I'm not sure if I have seen the original film you are mentioning though. I can't say for sure, but I would assume that the subjects didn't see any film before assessing their feelings about the experiment since the results of the first experiment came out in 1963, and I doubt the experiment was so overhyped immediately back then.

Exact quote: 'When the experimental series was complete, subjects received a written report which presented details of the experimental procedure and results. (...) All subjects received a follow-up questionnaire (...) which again allowed expression of thoughts and feelings about their behavior. The replies to the questionnaire confirmed my impression that participants felt positively towards the experiment. In its quantitative aspect, 84% of the subjects stated they were glad to have participated in the experiment, 15% indicated neutral feelings and 1,3% indicated negative feelings.'

Excerpt typed by yours truly and sourced from 'Issues in the study of obedience: A reply to Baumrind' by Milgram which dates back from 1964 or 65.

So yeah, he doesn't say when exactly he mailed the q's but I guess he did soon after the results of the experiment were published, which is most probably before any films or negative publicity was spread around about the experiment.
Closed Thread