Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 10-28-2005, 02:35 PM

Default 6s v 11s something i\'m sick of

you know, i'm sure i've used the line before myself, but i've been seeing it a lot lately and frankly i think it just sucks.

the line is "first of all you need to stop playing the 6s immediately, and move to the 11s, the rake is the same and the opponents aren't (meaningfully) better."

note: i have much less problem with "you should stop playing the 6s immediately and move to the pokerstars (or other sites) 5.5s."

the fact is that some people may have an amount of money they want to play with, and stakes they are comfortable playing at, and really, while it's nice to explain to them that if they are comfortable playing a higher stakes game, then the 11s offer a rake break relative to the 6s, some people just don't want to use or can't use, or whatever, twice as much money in order to fund playing twice the stakes.

while the intent of the statements are actually helpful, they're often phrased as "you're such an idiot because you're playing game A while game B is available" instead of "if you are interested in game B, you should know that it's a better value than game A," or something like that, and the only thing that's sure to happen from that is a) people who actually just have a small bankroll and want to work their way up will be insulted and think you're elitest and b) people who actually have a small bankroll and want to work their way up will feel shitty about themselves.

so i propose that people stop and think about what they're saying from time to time.

that's all.

c
Old 10-28-2005, 02:40 PM

Default Re: 6s v 11s something i\'m sick of

I agree, its retarded. Everyone that I teach to play will start at the 6's until they have learned how to play halfway decently.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:42 PM

Your mom was halfway decent last night.

Yugoslav
Who will pwn the draft later today!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-28-2005, 02:47 PM

I still maintain the $11s are different from the $6s.

Small sample sizes be damned! I went 0/14 in a row at the $11s, moved down, and cashed in 4/5 of my last $6s.

Yah yah yah, my math ain't savvy.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:48 PM

I will crush you in drafting.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I still maintain the $11s are different from the $6s.

I went 0/14 in a row at the $11s, moved down, and cashed in 4/5 of my last $6s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well gee, you've convinced me.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:05 PM

I agree with cit...When I first started out moving up quickly to the 10s busted me...after 50 5s I thought I could manhandle the 10s with my 150$ roll. lol
Old 10-28-2005, 03:40 PM

Just as an FYI to those who play the $6s. I think you learn the same amount, with less $$$ risk playing the play money tables. In fact, I would think the progression would be play money (for a good time being), then the $6s to build your confidence that playing for real money isn't much different (I suspect this isn't a long period here), and then on to the $11s.

But I agree with OP. You shouldn't play higher limits because it's a better value for your dollar. If that was so, all us $55s would play the $215s. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2005, 01:17 AM

Half or more of the players at the 11's would lose less money if they played the 6's (the average players, ones who lose the entry fee). I guess they don't realize it, or don't care.

And yeah, the $5+$0.50 players at Stars are wonderfully loose passive. Great place to start.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:21 AM

Pretty much everyone who claims this haven't played the $5+1s (myself included) so they can't possibly know what they are like.