Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 01:55 PM

Default 10/20 - A9s cold calling

UTG is 60/30/1.7, goes to showdown a lot.
MP is 65/10/1.

Two questions.
1) Is this hand two weak to cold call preflop even against donks like these?
2) Does the turn suck against a player like this?

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP calls, Hero calls, BB folds.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB
Old 10-20-2005, 01:58 PM

Default Re: 10/20 - A9s cold calling

i dont like it

preflop i 3bet if i play

and i dont think i would fold toppair against
[ QUOTE ]
60/30/1.7, goes to showdown a lot

[/ QUOTE ]
that is quite aggr for me
Old 10-20-2005, 02:14 PM

Preflop is ok. It's good to mix-up ccing and 3-betting here. If villain goes to showdown so often, I'm calling down unless a 9 comes. If he's bluffing or going agro with TT-KK, let him have at it. You're just gonna get 3-bet in marginal spots like this where you may fold the winner.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:20 PM

Location: For the love of God and all that is holy, MY ANUS IS BLEEDING!

PF: If there wasn't the cc, three bet. I don't mind the cold-call here actually.
Flop: I raise the flop b/c MP has already called one bet, there's no guarantee UTG will bet the turn into three people. I suppose seeing if MP raises the turn bet has it's advantages.

Turn: Bad. I would never fold TP against this opponent. Call the turn three bet. I would prefer raising the flop though and letting him call down or three betting u and then u can call down or bet the turn and call his c/r.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont like it

preflop i 3bet if i play

and i dont think i would fold toppair against
[ QUOTE ]
60/30/1.7, goes to showdown a lot

[/ QUOTE ]
that is quite aggr for me

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm surprised how aggro this really was. From watching his play later in the session betting and raising almost like maniac I'm surprised this number isn't higher.

Really bad laydown judging from his play the rest of the session.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PF: If there wasn't the cc, three bet. I don't mind the cold-call here actually.

[/ QUOTE ]

don't you think that we've got equety from both the 30pfr and the vpip60 coldcaller to rais. I don't think that 60vpip guy have much of a hand so force him to put a third bet would be good i think?
Old 10-20-2005, 02:27 PM

generally both high vpip and high went to sd affects the aggr very much. very often more than you first assume
Old 10-20-2005, 02:32 PM

Default What are about 3 in front

If UTG raised, MP and CO called, i usuall cold call on the button or from SB with A9s, A8s, as well as KTs. With such a large prelop pot, it's unlikely i can get a guy in the BB with a better kicker like AJ to fold by 3-betting.

my kicker might only be good half the time an A or K falls. Since i won't have any fold equity on the flop, i'm cold calling to encourage more to come along for the flush value. is this reasoning wrong?
Old 10-20-2005, 04:00 PM

Location: For the love of God and all that is holy, MY ANUS IS BLEEDING!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

don't you think that we've got equety from both the 30pfr and the vpip60 coldcaller to rais. I don't think that 60vpip guy have much of a hand so force him to put a third bet would be good i think?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mind a three bet either. I think arguments can be made for both here. You do have an equity advantage over the first two, but i would like to encourage the blinds to tag along with worse aces and other hands that may pad the pot should u flop a draw. You will also be able to raise them off of good flops if UTG auto bets the flop. I guess it depends on the blinds as well. If they're good, it might be best to three bet and take this three way. If u didn't have the ccer, i think that a three bet is much easier b/c A high will have much greater showdown value.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:11 PM

I agree. I 3-bet this preflop if UTG raises and MP folds.