Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 02:45 PM

Default Re: A theoretical baseball question

[ QUOTE ]
It would be pretty high...around .400 or higher. MLB hitters can all hit fastballs when they know they are coming. They would simply wait for them. Look at the MLB average when the count is 2-0, which means fastball like 80% of the time. It is up there.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no way they would just sit there and wait for a fastball. They would tattoo any hanging offspeed pitch as well as a fastball.

This would not be BP no doubt about that, and there would still be some pretty decent pitchers, but runs would go through the roof. League leader would be around .500 I would guess (may seem high, but I feel it is about right). League avg overall would be up 100-150 pts and HRs would approach 100. These stats may seem absurd, but in the majors, no pitcher totally overpowers hitters, not even the Unit and the likes. Pitchers survive by mixing it up. A pitcher like Trevor Hoffman who was once one of the most dominant pitchers for a long time, would be absolutely shelled. He mainly relies on 2 pitches, fastball and change-up. If a hitter knew that it was a FB instead of a change, or vice-versa, it would be all over.

Most hitters do not want to know what is coming because it throws their timing off if they rely on the info too much and they get crossed up. That could be the difference between a brushback and getting drilled in the head by a fastball because you "knew" it was a breaking ball. Obviously the OP said the the hitter would know 100% accurate what the pitch is.

Like I said, it wouldn't be BP, but it would resemble it a bit.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:47 PM

you seem to be under the impression that everytime a hitter gets out its the pitcher that gets him out.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:52 PM

I think fairly substantial, but if that were the case, pitchers like Moyer and Maddux might not have a job.

Other pitchers, like Mariano, wouldn't be affected since hitters pretty much know whats coming at them.

If I had to guess, maybe 30 - 40 points higher. Purely a guess.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think fairly substantial, but if that were the case, pitchers like Moyer and Maddux might not have a job.

Other pitchers, like Mariano, wouldn't be affected since hitters pretty much know whats coming at them.

If I had to guess, maybe 30 - 40 points higher. Purely a guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I think it's more a case of which pitcher. Some guys you know what they're going to throw and you can't hit it (or lay off) anyway.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:07 PM

Averages would be around .400, instead of .260.

League leader would probably hit about .500. Hard to say about the HR's.

A lot of times the batters know what is coming but still can't hit it. Plus, even if they rake it, it could go right to the outfielders.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
HRs would approach 100.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is absurdly high.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:14 PM

.500 and 100 hrs is ridiculous, you wouldn't see numbers like that off a pitching machine set to the speed of the batter's liking.
I think the average would be pretty close to the league average when the ball is put in play on 3-0 counts, since it's the same situation. I don't know what that is, however.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Averages would be around .400, instead of .260.

League leader would probably hit about .500. Hard to say about the HR's.

A lot of times the batters know what is coming but still can't hit it. Plus, even if they rake it, it could go right to the outfielders

[/ QUOTE ]
these numbers are way to high. like i said earlier to bravos1, hitters get themselves out as much if not more times than a pitcher gets them out, and like you said this doesn't take in account the times when you hit balls on the screws and they are right at somebody. this is why hitting is one of the toughest things to do in all of sport.

numbers will go up but not up to .400-.500. the thing is is that you can't actually know for sure b/c there are too many variables.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:31 PM

They are not too high. Tony Gwynn hit .394 in 1994 or something, Brett hit .390 one year..

Bonds hit .370 and Ichiro hit like .362. Heck Piazza hit like .362 one year.

You tellin me Ichiro couldn't hit .500 if he knew what was coming? Gwynn would hit about .550 to .600 (if he were still around).

And I did take into account hitting screaming liners right at people. I think it's fair to say average would hover around .400 with the leader hitting near .500.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
.500 and 100 hrs is ridiculous, you wouldn't see numbers like that off a pitching machine set to the speed of the batter's liking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course you would. Don't be ridiculous.