Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Question about Cano\'s baserunning

[ QUOTE ]
Here is the relevant rule:

The runner is out if "In running the last half of the distance from home base to first base while the ball is being fielded to first base, he runs outside (to the right of) the three foot line, or inside (to the left of) the foul line and, in the umpire's judgment, interferes with the fielder taking the throw at first base, or attempting to field a batted ball; The lines marking the three foot lane are a part of that 'lane' but the interpretation to be made is that a runner is required to have both feet within the three foot 'lane' or on the lines marking the 'lane'."

[emphasis added]

I'd have to see it again, but I thought Cano had his left foot on the line (that is, touching it, with his toes only to the left), not to the left of it, the whole way. He jumped to the left, into fair territory, only to touch the base. As the lane ends at the base, he cannot be considered outside the lane as he touches the base. And in any event, it's not clear to me that Cano was responsible for Erstad not catching the ball. I think Erstad just never saw the throw because of Cano.

I think I might reverse my judgment; I think the umpire might have gotten this one wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember the replay vividly, Cano's entire left foot was to the left (inside) the foul like the whole way down the line.

It was a good call and you are not going to convince anyone otherwise.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:59 PM

1. this is not canos fault. anyone who blames him is a moron, for lack of better words.

2. think of the conversation we'd be having if cano ran to the right of the bag and broke erstads ribs and gave him a concussion. that is what happens if cano runs a foot to the right of the line.

3. k steel= ban
Old 10-11-2005, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't remember the play, sorry. I was at Dodger Stadium the night Don Drysdale threw his 6th consecutive shutout. The Giants had bases loaded in the 9th with hobody out and Drysdale hit Dick Dietz. (It was Drysdale's record that Orel broke.) The umpire wouldn't allow him to take his base, ruling, correctly in my judgment, that Dietz deliberately let the ball hit him without getting out of the way. Drysdale then got Dietz, and the next two, without a run scoring and preserved the shutout.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember when Orel broke the record in S.D., a situation came up where the run was erased due to a technical ruling. At the time, Vin told the same story you just did and noted the coincidence. I just can't recall the play, though.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:59 PM

It's simply not possible. If his left foot was outside the line the whole way, he would not have had to jump outside the line to get to the base; after all, Erstad was in foul territory: if Cano was in effect straddling the fair line, with his entire left foot to the left all the way down, he's got a clear path to the base.

And he certainly did not interfere with Erstad catching the ball. Erstad never saw the ball, that's why he didn't even attempt to catch it. The throw was right on the money, that's why Cano did not try to advance to second: Kennedy was right on the line and backed up the play perfectly.

So even if Cano's left foot was not touching the line, and I don't know if it was, no interference was called for because he did not interfere with the catching of the ball. And if his foot was touching the line, then there's not even a doubt about it.

All it takes to understand this is the ability to read the rules.