Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 12:21 AM

Default Re: Question about Cano\'s baserunning

The Cano Baserunning Flub is the new A-Rod Slap.

momentum killers.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:23 AM

Andy, aside from the great post, you are wasting your breath.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

yes cause money really bought cano...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you know, he is making $20 mil as a rookie. Imagine how much he'll be making in 5 years?
Not to mention the fact that in sports your current salary has nothing to do with your current production.

[/ QUOTE ]

A-Rod and Jeter combine for like $44M per year. Yet neither one (especially CAPTAIN JETER) is wise enough to make sure rookies know how to "play the game the right way--like a true YANKEE". LOLOL.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:30 PM

Yeah, they should have reminded him, by the way, when you strike out, and the ball gets away from the catcher, run an inch or two to the right of where you might just in case the umpire makes an arguable call against you.

In forty-five years, I've never seen that call made unless the ball hits the runner. And I've never seen that call made when it's questionable whether the runner was inside the line or not, as Cano was only when there's no question the batter was running in fair territory.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The catcher doesn't care where he sets up... he just throws it down.

[/ QUOTE ] this is one of the dumbest things I have heard in the sports forum in a long time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although it may have been stated better, the fact of the matter is that the throw was to the inside of the bag. This supports K-Steel's point. The defense is entitled to the inside in which to make the throw. It is a fundamental rule that the runner shall stay on the outside of the line.

Just because Erstad set up incorrectly does not change the rule. If the throw was to the outside (and thus there would be literal interference, but not interference by rule) the defense assumes the risk ... that is the runner's territory.

The rule is enforced at all levels of the game, it is enforced throught the MLB season. When I watched the play, first thing I though was runner's interference. Whether Cano changed to avoid where he "thought" the throw was heading is irrelevant: He ran on the inside, the throw was on the inside - that is interference.

Whether you agree with the rule is not the issue. In reality, the play would have been fundamental had Erstad set up where he was supposed to.

A professional athelete has little excuse for not doing the "little" things right. Cano should have been running outside of the line.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, they should have reminded him, by the way, when you strike out, and the ball gets away from the catcher, run an inch or two to the right of where you might just in case the umpire makes an arguable call against you.

In forty-five years, I've never seen that call made unless the ball hits the runner. And I've never seen that call made when it's questionable whether the runner was inside the line or not, as Cano was only when there's no question the batter was running in fair territory.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said. This was a debatable call, a close one at best, and I can't believe people are talking like it makes Cano the retard of the year.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Although it may have been stated better, the fact of the matter is that the throw was to the inside of the bag. This supports K-Steel's point. The defense is entitled to the inside in which to make the throw.

Whether you agree with the rule is not the issue. In reality, the play would have been fundamental had Erstad set up where he was supposed to.

[/ QUOTE ] his whole point was that the players don't set up for that throw in a particular spot, the catcher just throws it down there, which is simply not true, as you have pointed out.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

yes cause money really bought cano...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you know, he is making $20 mil as a rookie. Imagine how much he'll be making in 5 years?
Not to mention the fact that in sports your current salary has nothing to do with your current production.

[/ QUOTE ]

A-Rod and Jeter combine for like $44M per year. Yet neither one (especially CAPTAIN JETER) is wise enough to make sure rookies know how to "play the game the right way--like a true YANKEE". LOLOL.

[/ QUOTE ]

On behalf of Yankee haters that prefer not to act like douchebags, please go away.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:09 PM

If you guys stopped quoting K Steel then I'd really be able to ignore him.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said. This was a debatable call, a close one at best, and I can't believe people are talking like it makes Cano the retard of the year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well he wasn't righteous, and it certainly didn't help much. The only thing worse here would have been for him to just throw his helmet off and walk away instead of even running down there.