Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 11:28 PM

Default Re: Question about Cano\'s baserunning

The catcher doesn't care where he sets up... he just throws it down. Your logic is silly. The rule is the rule. The defense did nothing wrong there. Calling that a "non-call" in a game this important is ridiculous.

If Cano is in foul territory and the catcher hits him in the back, Cano is safe, and it's Molina's "fault" for not catching the ball smoothly.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
nice assesment GoT, I agree completely.

[/ QUOTE ]

So do I. That was the whole reason I asked. Obviously on a play like A-Rod did last year would be called interference, but w/ Cano I wasn't sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cano has no EFFING clue where the catcher is, nor should he care. He needs to worry about running in the basepath. You're talking as if Cano knowingly ran in fair territory to make it easier on Molina. Jeez. Cano effed up. That's it. No excuse for not knowing fundamentals. Especially at this level, in a game this important.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The catcher doesn't care where he sets up... he just throws it down.

[/ QUOTE ] this is one of the dumbest things I have heard in the sports forum in a long time.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] this is one of the dumbest things I have heard in the sports forum in a long time.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the thrower's job to get it to the bag, the first sacker needs to be in position to catch it, not vice versa. The catcher doesn't go "Well erstad is set up inside, but Cano is in my path, oh well I'll just bean him."

Instead its Erstad who needs to think "I gotta give Bengie a wide target here and catch the ball.", not "I'm settin' up inside, and if Benjie throws it outside, well F him."
Old 10-10-2005, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is completely absolutely false. The call is INSIDE-INSIDE on those plays. The catcher's job is to throw a catchable ball INSIDE the base path. There's absolutely no question about it. None.

[ QUOTE ]
If Cano is in foul territory and the catcher hits him in the back, Cano is safe

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly. That's why correctly trained and coached catchers and 1B know the throw should always go inside on dropped third strikes and bunts or grounders in front of the plate.

GoT
Old 10-10-2005, 11:48 PM

Yeah, dude is a dipshit.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You are supposed to run in foul territory, and touch the bag with your left foot when running out a single. You cannot have your body in fair territory. It's just another example of poor fundamentals coming from the $200M dollar baseball team. Dumbest players $$ can buy.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes cause money really bought cano...
Old 10-11-2005, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

yes cause money really bought cano...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you know, he is making $20 mil as a rookie. Imagine how much he'll be making in 5 years?
Not to mention the fact that in sports your current salary has nothing to do with your current production.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:07 AM

Yeah, actually I don't think Estad catches the throw even if Cano is in foul territory. But it wasn't a bad call by the ump. Cano was a little bit inside the field of play. Like I said in the other thread, if it's Jeter, I don't think the ump makes the call.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:13 AM

Watch the catcher next time on such plays. If it's a bunt, or swinging bunt, out in front of the plate, the catcher will go towards the pitcher's mound before making the throw, so as to throw it around the runner. If it's not a close play, on a passed ball or wild pitch, the catcher will throw it from behind the plate, which give a good angle to not hit the runner.

But in this case, the ball squirted out to a place such that Molina had no angle, and, since Cano is relatively fast, no time to adjust. So he did the best he could. It's very rare for an umpire to make that call when Cano was just, if anything, a few inches inside the line in fair territory. Cano should have run right into Erstad because Erstad was set up in foul territory. Like I said, if it's a veteran, say, Jeter, who had run the same route, I don't think the call is made. (Same thing with the error on Cano the other night when he took his foot off the bag ahead of A-Rod's throw.)

Sometimes you see a play and a guy is flagrantly in fair territory and you know if the throw hits him he's going to be called out. You rarely see this play called by the ump unless the throw hits the runner because if it doesn't hit him, where's he's running usually doesn't interfere with the throw.

People are also forgetting that no run would have scored on the play. The Yankees would have had bases loaded with two out and Williams, who wasn't swinging the bat very well, coming up. Obviously they'd love to have had the opportunity. What killed the inning was Sheffield and Matsui not being able to do anything after the first two guys got on base.