Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 06:00 PM

Default Re: 3rd street fold

[ QUOTE ]
There are just too many players that will see such a weak board in front of them and attempt to make an early steal. If you know this guy never tries such a move, then maybe the fold is correct, but I don't know how you would know that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really think he’s raising here with AK9o? Stealing in early position in a loose 2/4 game? I can’t know for sure, but he I’d be very surprised.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Aren't you only calling a completion?

[/ QUOTE ]

You’re right. Meant to say “for a full bet”. The fact that the bring-in is half of the small bet had me confused.
Either way though, I don’t like it.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you really think he’s raising here with AK9o? Stealing in early position in a loose 2/4 game? I can’t know for sure, but he I’d be very surprised.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think it has to be that poor of a hand - it could be a semi steal. What about a live mid pair and a two flush or a two straight? I have never played 2/4, but at 5/10 I have seen this a lot, especially when the table tightens up. If the table was really loose at the time, then I agree that the likelihood of such a move is lower.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Either way though, I don’t like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like you've got this guy figured out then. I guess if you really think he's rolled or on QQ or higher, a fold is fine.

Another question that came to mind, what range of hands did you put him on?
Old 10-04-2005, 07:28 PM

Huh? Not raising here is horrendous (and a fold is really bad). He could have a pair of 9's with one dead. He could have something like 77 in the hole, 88, 10s (less likely cause one is dead) or he could have something like QQ, KK, AA in the hole. But hearts are also live, so he could have a big 3-flush. I raise this crap any day of the week, even Sunday.

Jeff
Old 10-04-2005, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But hearts are also live, so he could have a big 3-flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he had the 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] up. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2005, 08:14 PM

Reraise or call.

Your pair is higher than any upcard you see. Jacks are live. Sure its better to enter a hand being confident that your hand is highest and someone else's raise castes doubt on that, but still there's not enough reason to fold here.

As for raising or just calling, either one is fine as i think that all will call your reraise. You may want to wait till 4th so you have a better idea where the other hands might be heading.

But overall, you have a good playable hand here, regardless of what the rest of the cards bring.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:02 PM

If by "solid," you mean a 75-year-old man on a respirator who just has to have a big pair in the hole to make it a full bet, yeah, fold. If by "solid" you mean a typical poster here, you should raise. Against me, you should certainly raise. I could have a lot of hands in this spot, unless perhaps the game is so loose that I have no stealing equity, which doesn't appear to be the case here.