Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2005, 06:12 PM

Default Tough River Decision #4

My notes on this guy are kinda brief - they simply read “sucks”.

7 Card Stud High ($2/$4), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $1 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.75 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 4: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (3.25 SB)

Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises

5th Street - (3.63 BB)

Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (5.63 BB)

Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises

River - (9.63 BB)

Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___bets

Total pot: (11.63 BB)
Old 09-27-2005, 06:16 PM

Default Re: Tough River Decision #4

What did you think he would do on 6th, no way he is folding - unless he has a hand you want him to put money in the pot with. Given 6th, I pay off 7th.

I like the line of just check/calling all the way after 4th though.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:55 PM

well, you called him on 6th cause you thought he might be bluffing, right? Well, go ahead and call the river too then.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:56 PM

You missed a raise on 5th...if you'd made it, there would be no debate about the river play.

Jeff
Old 09-27-2005, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You missed a raise on 5th...if you'd made it, there would be no debate about the river play.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain. I think this is critical.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:18 PM

When he bets into you on 6th, he's either saying he started with a big pair or hit the king or he's saying he doesn't make you for the jack (with the one dead) and he wants to see a bet go in with his lower pair. You won't know which is correct (and be able to punish the latter) unless you raise. If you raise, you probably won't be reraised by one pair...even kings. You will likely be able to check behind sixth and pay off any river bet. If you get reraised, it's close, but lean towards folding. He probably has buried aces minimum and possibly better. If he's truly a nutjob, different story...it may be better just to let him bet (in some cases--this doesn't mean never raise 5th against this type).

Jeff
Old 09-27-2005, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the line of just check/calling all the way after 4th though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You missed a raise on 5th...

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I should have raised.
Somehow, I got it into my head that calling down in these spots is the way to go, I dunno why. Recently though I thought it over (after playing a $20/$40 hand where not raising likely cost me the pot [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] ) and decided that was bs.
So I guess I just fell back into my old call-down mode here, really don’t know why.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What did you think he would do on 6th, no way he is folding - unless he has a hand you want him to put money in the pot with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I didn’t think he’d raise and I didn’t want to give him a free card (just in case he was raising with some sort of draw on 4th and his 5th street bet was just a semi-bluff/continuation bet. Although he might be to dumb to take a free card, who knows).
Old 09-28-2005, 01:28 PM

Default RESULTS

I called and he showed [9s 5d 9c 7h Ks 2s 3d].
So I finally did win one of these. Granted though, I wasn‘t as sure I was beat as in the other „tough river decisions“ I posted.