Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 11:30 AM

Default Re: AA flops quads

It's very hard to make money in this situation no matter what you do, but I would check the flop, regardless of how suspicious it looks. It's simply too tough to get someone to make a move on you with this board; your only hope is that they catch up.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:35 AM

You need to check this twice.

-Scott
Old 09-22-2005, 11:39 AM

Consensus seems to be check it down,
no matter how dodgy it looks.

Care to defend/elaborate on your line 37?
Old 09-22-2005, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But if you IGNORE the side prize,
Im not so sure it always will be correct to check it down.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed, but in this situation it's hard to figure that there's a close second-best hand out there with a board of A-A-x.

A few months ago, my cousin was playing $1-2 NL at the Borgata in Atlantic City. He had KK and caught a set on the flop. He bet out, got lots of action, and improved to quads on the turn. He got all-in, tripled up, and was up $300 for the night. He was able to bet out in this hand since he knew the others had hands they liked. But with your flop, I think you really need people to catch up (or not believe that you hold the nuts).
Old 09-22-2005, 11:45 AM

Hmm, the more I think about it the more checking it down seems almost compulsory. If I called a reraise on the flop there would be no more betting I think.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're unlikely to make any money on this hand unless someone catches or you induce a bluff. You almost have to check and give them a chance to do so.

Also, your min-raise from UTG + 1/5 pot bet on the flop screams strength, especially if your image is what you think it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, a check is definitely a lot more scary then a 1/5 pot bet.

Personally I'd bet like 1/3 pot which I hope they pick up as a weak probing bet. 1/3 pot bet looks very much like you have a PP smaller than ace and you're trying to gauge where you stand.

If anyone calls, then you check/call turn, lead river. If hand gets checked on turn, you should lead river. I think this is a good line that exemplifies the most probing/weakness from you.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:01 PM

If your opponents are any good at all (and think you're any good at all), they're thinking that your tiny flop bet is a trap. Either check (hoping they think you're scared of the Aces) or bet 1/2 the pot (appearing like a standard continuation bet).

I lean towards checking, although you're sure to get called by anyone holding a pocket pair.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:25 PM

Two words ....

SLOWPLAY!

Any opponent in the hand is drawing dead. You have to give them a reason to stay in the hand and make a donation. Give em' a couple of free cards and hope they get unlucky and make a boat by the river.

I check the flop, check the turn and then decide to check or bet the river based upon the cards that come and the likelihood that something caught my opponent solidly.

It sounds like a paradox here, but in this case you are hoping for an opponent who is smart, but not too smart. A top player will know enough to be wary and probably won't dump too many chips on this scary board. Strangely enough, so will a complete idiot.

However some people will think they are just "smart" enough to "steal" this one away from you. IMHO, this is who you hope to get as an opponent in this kind of situation.