Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 05-06-2003, 10:27 AM

Default frozen

I must have really looked stupid on this one...

4 limpers, SB completes, I check with T7o.

Flop comes A97 rainbow. I check, first limper (UTG+1 IIRC) bets, 4 callers, SB folds and I call, figuring 5 outs.

Turn is another 7, putting a flush draw on the board. Ahhh. I check, UTG+1 bets as expected, and I'm looking forward to my checkraise. Two callers, and now the button raises! Startled, I cold-call and the others call.

River is little offsuit card. I KNOW I should bet, but my hand sneaks off and clicks the check button against my wishes. It gets checked around.

***edit: Upon revisiting the hand history, there was no flush draw on the board as of the turn. Sorry... Details get fuzzy in my head sometimes.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:36 AM

Default Re: frozen

Not much of a response, more of a question.

Is it smart to bet with 5 outs when you have lowest pair?
5 outs = around 1:3.9 odds right? There is about 11 sb's by the time it gets to you, so you have about 11:1 pot odds. So im assumming its correct then... Is this correct?
Old 05-06-2003, 11:46 AM

It is sometimes correct to bet with bottom pair, but pot odds have nothing to do it. If the game is tight enough, you could do it to fold a bigger pair, overcards, or an ace. Doesn't apply in this case though.

When calculating pot odds (for calling, mind you, not betting), I generally just figure for one street (i.e. one card). That would mean the probability of success on my turn card would be 5/47, or 1 in 9.4. Throw in some implied odds and a small probability of a free card on the turn, and I'm generally fine with 7:1 or so on a bottom pair call. And naturally, game texture and bettor position factor in, too. In short, it depends.
Old 05-06-2003, 11:49 AM

HEFAP recomends semibluffing with middle pair and an overcard. In this situation, I think I would check-fold since with the ace out there and so many people, the semibluff isn't going to work very often and even if you hit your 10, you may be against a bigger two-pair (AT or T9).
Old 05-06-2003, 12:00 PM

"In this situation, I think I would check-fold since with the ace out there and so many people, the semibluff isn't going to work very often and even if you hit your 10, you may be against a bigger two-pair (AT or T9)."

--Interesting and true. In this case, though, I was looking at some pretty nice pot odds and I was closing the action... Tough to pass up.