Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 03:02 PM

Default Deep in a field of 1200

Ok. so I want feedback but also don't wantto much harassment. i realize i played this HORRIBLY, but still [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thought id share my idiocy.

40 left out of 1200 in a pokerroom.com tourny.

I get pocket queens in middle position. guy to my right limps. i raise. everyone folds. it gets heads up. Details are sketchy cause im a retard. He covers me by like 3kish. flop comes jack,10,x, I bet 2500, he reraises me 15k. At this point i KNOW im beat but for some ODD reason i cant lay this [censored] down. i almost clicked fold but alas. i was like hmm imma call. (as soon as i did i know im [censored]. he turns over trip jacks) im like. IM SO STUPID. the only thing i could beat here is basically a complete bluff or A,J. needless to say i didnt improve adn didnt deserve to.

As soon as the hadn was over i thougth about it more and am like. only cards he could have possibly had were, A,A. K,K. Jack,10, J,J, or 10,10. I could beat none of them. Stupid me.

everyone else agree it was a dumb call.

P.s. im not looking to be harassed [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] (not to badly anyways ) haha

does his HUGE reraise denote weakness to you? i did have the feeling right away im beat. I think i was just really tired and my brain kinda wanted to lose so i could stop.

possibly.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Deep in a field of 1200

It's not a horrible call. Why couldn't he have some crap like AJ, KJ, QJ or the other random crap where he has just jacks? Or what about a small pocket pair and he thinks you have AK since the flop is a little raggedy (this kind of thinking happens a lot).

I'm not saying I would call or fold in this situation (although a check-raise of this magnitude represents something). But it's not an EASY fold like you put it. I probably wouldn't have folded in a 50+5 MTT without a very specific read.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
does his HUGE reraise denote weakness to you?

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends. Minus reads, if two of those cards were suited that puts both straight and flush draws on the board. With trips I might try to price you out of the hand, especially after being bet into.

Also - what was your table image going into the hand? Have you been raising a lot, making several cont. bets? This will also (or should) alter the villains reasoning.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok. so I want feedback but also don't wantto much harassment. i realize i played this HORRIBLY, but still [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thought id share my idiocy.

40 left out of 1200 in a pokerroom.com tourny.

I get pocket queens in middle position. guy to my right limps. i raise. everyone folds. it gets heads up. Details are sketchy cause im a retard. He covers me by like 3kish. flop comes jack,10,x, I bet 2500, he reraises me 15k. At this point i KNOW im beat but for some ODD reason i cant lay this [censored] down. i almost clicked fold but alas. i was like hmm imma call. (as soon as i did i know im [censored]. he turns over trip jacks) im like. IM SO STUPID. the only thing i could beat here is basically a complete bluff or A,J. needless to say i didnt improve adn didnt deserve to.

As soon as the hadn was over i thougth about it more and am like. only cards he could have possibly had were, A,A. K,K. Jack,10, J,J, or 10,10. I could beat none of them. Stupid me.

everyone else agree it was a dumb call.

P.s. im not looking to be harassed [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] (not to badly anyways ) haha

does his HUGE reraise denote weakness to you? i did have the feeling right away im beat. I think i was just really tired and my brain kinda wanted to lose so i could stop.

possibly.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he limp/called jacks at that stage and then sucked out on you... he sucked out on you. You played it exactly correctly. I'm getting it all in w/ an undercard flop every time.

He's pretty much retarded for limp/calling jacks. And he's semi retarded for playing a set that fast. It happens.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:19 PM

This one is a tougher decision than you make it out to be.
In a 50+5 tourny with 40 out of 1200 players left, I just assume everyone is at least proficient at poker. If he knew that you knew its a bonehead move to play a set so quickly, and made the huge reraise knowing you'd interpret that as weakness and call with your overpair, then hes a pretty tricky player. With no specific read/tendencies on this guy, I'd still say you played it alright.
I think I would have done the same thing as you in that situation, even though I FEEL I'm beat.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:50 AM

Wow. Im really suprised at the positive feed back on my call.

I was expecting alot of "Yes you are a retard" hahah lol.

Some other info i guess is i was jsut moved to this table. no reads at all.

But seriously. at this point in the tourny im thinking that that move tells me im whooped and to just lay it down. I try my hardest to make good laydowns in tournys becuase making 1 bad call ruins ur day [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] i try to make sure i know im winning before i get it all in. this situation seems far to marginal. to me, it felt like hes got an amazing hand. I should have gone with my instinct. Ive been reading this book called "BLINK" by Malcolm Gladwell. Its about making split second decisions and how they are often correct vs taking along time to think things through and then deciding.

I apprecaite everyones feed back although i do still think i made a poor call [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] im sure most of you are far more experinced at poker then me (ive only been around for 9 months or so) but im doing my best. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Trying to take it all in as fast as possible.
Old 09-04-2005, 04:31 AM

I'd be much more afraid of a check/minraise than that huge overbet. Do you recall if there was a flush draw out?

-AF.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:09 PM

nope. no flush out.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:31 PM

Well, I'll say it, I think you made a terrible play. With no reads, I automatically assume i up against a good player. I think that the only hand that he would play that way that you beat is AJ.

The checkraise is really telling. He is saying that he has a good hand. Also, you have to look at his position. The only hands i limp with UTG are AK, AQ, QQ, JJ, TT. Now would he checkraise with AK, AQ. Maybe, but not for that amount at most he would triple your bet. This flop is coordinated. I think he expects you to bet since you raised preflop, and he is protecting his hand.

With no reads, I have to lay this down. But, if i find that he is a maniac or crappy player who would limp with KJ or QJ in early position, then i might be more inclined to call.

All the signs say fold.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:17 PM

OK. finally someone who thinks like me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Ok. i do know it was a brutal call. afterwards i was thinkign exactly the same as u. so many ppl ive asked are like. id have called. I should go with my read and fold to such a strong feeling checkraise.

Things that make u go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm