Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 01:37 AM

Default from Micro limit to NL (please read)

Im really starting to dislike .50/1 and 1/2 fixed. Ive played for 3 months and my PT stats look great according to everyone down there. Ive made a whopping 300.00 out of my play for my efforts. My question is, Iv'e heard great things about the 6-max 25$ NL games at party. My NL play is limited (pun) as most if not all my play has been at the micros, full ring. I have about 400-500 left in my bankroll after my current downswing. I might be a little under-rolled for the 25's. Can anyone give me some "this is how I got started in NL games" stories or suggestions?
Old 08-26-2005, 01:50 AM

Default Re: from Micro limit to NL (please read)

Haha, I got started in NL by playing 100,000 hands of limit poker. It's fun to be a rookie again!
Old 08-26-2005, 01:51 AM

Ok first of all it doesn't sound like you are underfunded. You have $500 and are going to be playing the max $25 tables, that is 20 full buy ins. It sounds like a good start. Here are my suggestions for starting out:

1) Hook up with a good rakeback program, aka, get paid to play.

2) The party bonuses are easy to clear at the low limit NL tables. I just cleared a $100/100% bonus in 3 days playing 1000 hands)

3) Play tight till you get used to the stakes, then slowly vary your style. Your big hands will be paid off every now and then.

4) The second you feel like you are going to tilt, turn off the computer and walk away.

I've been mainly playing SNG on Multi and Empire and decided to do a quick bonus whore while I was analyzing my sng. I bought in for $200 on Empire, turned it into $450 in 3 days ($150 profit, $100 bonus) with minimal effort while playing tight. I did this playing the $50 Max NL tables.

You'll be fine, good luck.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:52 AM

i start september last year play some mcro at party and stuff then move to nl. WELL what a suprise. so easy to lose. im down 27000 (yes twentie seven thousend) since then give or take a few. well i pull my money and play some omaha and i win!!. couple months ill be back in the red for sure.

gl with it, go omhah dude!
Old 08-26-2005, 01:53 AM

Thanks ender...Grunch check your messages!
Old 08-26-2005, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i start september last year play some mcro at party and stuff then move to nl. WELL what a suprise. so easy to lose. im down 27000 (yes twentie seven thousend) since then give or take a few. well i pull my money and play some omaha and i win!!. couple months ill be back in the red for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you freakin' kidding me. please tell me the NL forum isnt full of this.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:04 AM

my experience from limit to no limit was not very smoothe in the beginning. i am glad i did it and i do think nl is a lot more profitable and enjoyable. as for the transfomation i wouldnt just jump into 6max nl from full ring limit. i think i would start playing some full ring nl just to get used to it and if u multi-table i would play just 1 or 2 tables till u get used to the concepts of nl. from there movin to 6max is not really that different. good luck.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you freakin' kidding me. please tell me the NL forum isnt full of this.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Os gave you his experience and was completely honest about it. Be greatful.

As for your question I don't have much to add except that I would suspect you will get bored with NLHE hold em too. I would recommend learning another game or moving up limits in LHE or something.

If you really want to learn NLHE then I suppose reading this forum is the best way to start. Posting hands is good and asking why certain players would do what they do in their advice is good as well.

You're probably looking for some SSNL posters to read up on so I would suggest reading Soah, FimbulWinter, and TheWorstPlayer's comments within the SSNL forums.

Good luck.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I sure hope you didn't lose 27000 playing anything under 400 NL. Because if you did, I think you have some leaks in your game.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would recommend ... moving up limits in LHE...

[/ QUOTE ]

I strongly disagree with this advice.

Here's the simple reason why. If Poker Player Joe cannot beat the very bad opponents at limit a/b, then he will not be able to beat the much better opponents at a higher level. The idea that "they will respect my raises" is just a very terrible conception.