Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2005, 03:39 PM

Default Re: Man Killed in London Did Not Run From Police

[ QUOTE ]
It now appears that this shooting may have been an unfortunate error

[/ QUOTE ]

If this report is legitamate what the officersdid is not an unfortunate error, it is a criminal act.

[ QUOTE ]
Of course, given the events in London prior to this shooting, such an error is quite understandable

[/ QUOTE ]

What like a drunk driver killing someone in an accident is understandable because off course if he's drunk his driving ability will be impaired.

[ QUOTE ]
The man who was shot is another victim of islamic terrorism

[/ QUOTE ]

Again if this report is correct he is a victim of murder performed by officers of the law.

[ QUOTE ]
and the civilized world must step up efforts to identify and annihilate the terrorists responsible for this and many other senseless murders.

[/ QUOTE ]

If its Islamic religious fundamentalist terrorists your talking about we could always just ask the people funding them to stop.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
IUnless you think the police in this case are homicidal thugs, it doesn't change the fact that the shooting was an unfortunate yet understandable mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree that it's an understandable mistake. They killed a guy simply because he came out of the same block of nine flats as a suspect, even though he was identified as being white (when the suspect was known to be black), was not confirmed by surveillance officers as being the suspect, and made no attempt to resist or run away as they alleged. You can't simply go around executing people on such ridiculously flimsy grounds. I don't think the police in general are homicidal thugs but this looks like a case of a stupid policy mixed up with an extraordinary level of incompetence and poor decision making.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this kind of disaster is considered just an 'understandable mistake' I would be more frightened of the special armed police than the terrorists.

Frank
Old 08-18-2005, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It now appears that this shooting may have been an unfortunate error.

[/ QUOTE ]

WRONG. It *originally* appeared that this was an unfortunate error. Now it appears to be a case of gross overreaction, incompetence, and panic.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:31 PM

>>If this report is legitamate what the officersdid is not an unfortunate error, it is a criminal act.<<

Leeds, your response is foolish, incoherent, and hysterical. You need to wake up and smell the coffee - we are at war, and islamic terrorists are turning our cities into war zones.

If you choose to stick your head in the sand and let others do the hard work to defend you and your family, that's your choice. But don't blame the people who are putting their lives on the line to save your sorry ass for deaths that are the direct result of islamic terrorism.

I understand that you are confused. Perhaps it would be better if you just didn't comment on matters like this that are beyond your limited powers of reason and comprehension.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:06 PM

I don't think you understand zipo. The police made a mess of surveillance, tracked a random guy from the block of flats they were watching despite him being a different colour to the suspect, then popped him in the head 7 times execution style.

The cops then made up a bunch of lies about the whole thing.

I'm afraid we just don't like the police killing people for no reason in this country.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:41 PM

>>The cops then made up a bunch of lies about the whole thing.

I'm afraid we just don't like the police killing people for no reason in this country. <<

I take your point, bez. Still, I'm not sure all the facts are in yet, but lets assume for argument's sake that the police overreacted.

The 'root cause' of this incident is clearly the recent mass murder of innocent commuters by muslim terrorists in London.

All in all, I believe the people of England have comported themselves admirably in the face of these mass murders. For example, a couple of years ago in India muslim terrorists burned dozens of innocent hindus - mostly women and children - burned them to death on a train simply because they were of a different faith (or "infidels", as they like to say). In response, hindus rioted and swept through a muslim neighborhood in retaliation, killing hundreds of muslims - innocent and guilty alike.

Clearly, it is tragic that innocents suffered in this act of retaliation, but such retaliation is understandable.

My main point is that we must not lose sight of the root cause of this incident. We must also resign ourselves to the fact that if we in the West continue to be provoked by terror, at some point incidents of massive retaliation become inevitable - which is tragic, because more innocents will be caught up in this carnage.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
scapegoats are for the weak.

[/ QUOTE ]

???

This is about taking responsibility. This policy was flawed and ill thought trough to begin with.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:48 PM

Default Shoot To Kill

Sometimes, the mind just boggles with posts from this page (supposedly the Politics page of a forum frequented by Advantage Players, i.e. smart people).

I mean, really! Why are the extreme pro-war/anti-terror folks so ready to offer excuses for the London shooting and downplay its significance?

Don't they realize that, first and foremost, any fatal, criminal errors such as the London shooting will obstruct the anti-terror effort?

Do the pooh-poohing posters actually believe that the effort against terror is HELPED by
(a) not recognizing the shooting as criminal/murderous negligence which should be porosecuted as a crime,
(b) not taking measures that will prevent such incidents in the future (or, at least, make them less probable), and
(c) not having the public opinion trusting the authorities and firmly behind the anti-terror effort ?

The mind, as I said, boggles.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:10 PM

Default Re: Shoot To Kill

[ QUOTE ]
Do the pooh-poohing posters actually believe that the effort against terror is HELPED by
(a) not recognizing the shooting as criminal/murderous negligence which should be porosecuted as a crime,
(b) not taking measures that will prevent such incidents in the future (or, at least, make them less probable), and
(c) not having the public opinion trusting the authorities and firmly behind the anti-terror effort ?

The mind, as I said, boggles.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I am afraid they do, they seem to imply that the shooting was 'understandable', and therefore that any kind of questioning of the police actions is tantamount to high treason. Auf with his head gov.

Mack