Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 08-18-2005, 04:12 AM

Default Re: Man Killed in London Did Not Run From Police

[ QUOTE ]
I really have a hard time figuring out how this can be remotely understandible. Those officers should be put in jail.

[/ QUOTE ]
It was understandable in a sense, because of the fear of more suicide bombings and the enormous pressure on the police to stop further attacks. That doesn't justify what happened, off course.

As to your last remark. Personally I think the people that came up with this reckless 'shoot to kill' policy should shoulder the blame, not necessarily the policeman that did the shooting.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How about sacking that twat Ian Blair who praised the officers involved despite knowing it was all lies?

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy wouldn't do this, he's a politican not a police man, my guess is he praised them before reading the report. He should go, he is nothing more than a Tony Blair place-man.

Most people won't care about this guy having been shot for no other reason than he lived near terrorists. He wasn't challenged, he didn't jump the barrier, he didn't run onto train (except as we all do when late). He had been sitting in his seat for a while when police got there, pulled him off his chair, pinned him down and fired into his head seven times, lastly the jacket he wore could not conceal a device. I've heard a lot of people say, he was a foreigner an illegal (expired visa), well since when did that carry the death penalty in the UK?

We need to question our faith in authority, we need to question how much power and responsibility we want to give them, they are not infalable;

* They will make mistakes and then lie

* They will not always act in our best interests

* They will not always know what is in our best interests

* They get scared, which leads to poor judgements

* They won't always be good or fair people

* They are often self-interested or corrupt

Trust them, sure. Ask yourself everyday if they still deserve it though.

Mack
Old 08-18-2005, 05:17 AM

Just remember, if some jack-booted thug policemen mistake you for a terrorist and try to kill you, aim for the head if you shoot back.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
IUnless you think the police in this case are homicidal thugs, it doesn't change the fact that the shooting was an unfortunate yet understandable mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree that it's an understandable mistake. They killed a guy simply because he came out of the same block of nine flats as a suspect, even though he was identified as being white (when the suspect was known to be black), was not confirmed by surveillance officers as being the suspect, and made no attempt to resist or run away as they alleged. You can't simply go around executing people on such ridiculously flimsy grounds. I don't think the police in general are homicidal thugs but this looks like a case of a stupid policy mixed up with an extraordinary level of incompetence and poor decision making.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:56 AM

Wow. I supported the London cops under the prior version of the story, but if this stuff is true... pretty shocking.

I blame it on Britain's lack of a well-developed gun culture [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-18-2005, 10:54 AM

I hear the police have now changed their story and claim to have been helping install democracy into the guy.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:16 PM

I can't justify their actions at all, but I can see how this happened. I hope what I am about to say isn't interpreted as an excuse, but more so as a possible explanation.

Your country is at a high stress time, and its even more stressful for the cops. They are on high alert to catch suspects and prevent future attacks. I think the stress they are under most certainly led to this event happening. Whats really sad is stuff like this happens in the U.S. in situations which the stress level is much much lower. I guess some of us Americans have become jaded to stuff like this.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:25 PM

It now appears that this shooting may have been an unfortunate error.

Of course, given the events in London prior to this shooting, such an error is quite understandable.

The man who was shot is another victim of islamic terrorism, and the civilized world must step up efforts to identify and annihilate the terrorists responsible for this and many other senseless murders.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As to your last remark. Personally I think the people that came up with this reckless 'shoot to kill' policy should shoulder the blame, not necessarily the policeman that did the shooting.

[/ QUOTE ]

scapegoats are for the weak.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:37 PM

Yes, but he had the capablity to run.