Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 08-17-2005, 08:27 AM

Default Re: So Mad I could spit

Here it is 10 hours later and I'm still in mourning.

Bottom line: I could post and fold and probably walk into the money.

Thanks for all of the great responses.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bottom line: I could post and fold and probably walk into the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

This may or may not be true (even though you are the 4th stack), depending on the percentage of the total chips you now have.

I love sattellites because the vast majority of players shut down too early and you can often steal your way into the money.

Regardless, I don't think that trying for the blind steal was necessarily wrong - you just went about it wrongly. Make a real raise and be serious about your hand - 3 to 4x the big blind. Even a big stack will think twice about coming in with garbage.

Once you hit the flop like you did, bet it strongly, don't mess around against a big stack. You have a big enough stack to hurt him a bit, make it obvious you are committed to this pot. And if you only win a small pot in this situation, count your blessings (and try to stay away from entanglements with other big stacks in the future [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ).

-Oz-
Old 08-17-2005, 11:51 AM

UGH.

You pretty much have a spot locked up. BB certainly does, so I don't know what the eff he is doing. If you are going to raise, raise for real, don't give the big stack odds to call.

Push the flop after he bets. I know it seems like a waste, but you got his 800 preflop and 1600 here. This is a boost to your stack, and that's all you need. You don't need to double up to get a spot. If this were a standard tourney, no problem, doubling up moves you closer to the big $$. No reason to get cute.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:52 PM

Raising w/ A6o when folded to on the button is pretty standard. Giving Villian 3.5:1 on his call was your first mistake. I'm calling everytime with those odds if I'm holding anything that isn't total trash. Unless Hero has a pair of 8's or better, Villian is definately correct to call w/ 87o. Raise to t1,600.

Depending on Villian, I'm tempted to raise this flop since I'm really trying to get all my chips in the middle. A flat call either means you're a donk with A-high, you're on a str8 draw and you're totally weak, or that you have a big hand. If his bet is a bluff, he probably won't improve to a hand that could take any heat come the turn, so you lose nothing if your raise folds him out on the flop. If he has a 7 (which he did), he may interpret your raise as a bluff and come over the top. If he has a pocket pair, he's still probably coming over the top provided that the pair is reasonable. If he has a 6 with a worse kicker, he's definately doubling you up. If he has a str8 draw and his bet was a semi-bluff, he will probably call your raise and you get to charge him for drawing.

These are all good results when you flop what figures to be the best hand something like 95% of the time. Smooth calling allows him to get away from the hand too easily and certainly kills the action if he's bluffing. For example, say that a King fell on the turn. If he bets and you raise, he can easily throw his 87o in the muck. If you raise the flop and he calls or moves in, you can easily get him tied to the pot no matter what happens on the turn.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:01 PM

i dont think ive ever been so mad i felt like spitting
Old 08-17-2005, 01:21 PM

I would not get involved in marginal plays at this point. Wait for big hands. If it winds up getting closer like you may need more chips, then start stealing then. Supersatellites at this level don't play that tight. Enough people may bust themselves out. You don't have to fold a big pair or something, but this button raise is borderline anyway.

As people have said, your raise is to small to take the blinds. No point in trapping. Winning the hand will give you enough chips to cash anyway, so bet your trips aggressively and try to win the hand.

You need to adjust your play more to supersatellite situations.

I am a good supersatellite player, but I am always kicking myself for busting myself out when I could have coasted or not stealing enough and becoming a short stack. It is tricky to read the chip positions and how the players are playing and adjust your play accordingly.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I spit hot fire!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I rip and I rhyme, I rhyme and I rip, this is the way Dylan spit.

To the OP, I'd raise more preflop, raise the flop to 5000 and push the turn.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:55 PM

In addition, he needs to pay attention *who* he gets involved against. Pick on the smaller stacks if you want. Don't pick on a huge stack like that.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In addition, he needs to pay attention *who* he gets involved against. Pick on the smaller stacks if you want. Don't pick on a huge stack like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on the big stack. If the big stack is playing sensibly and trying to post/fold his way in, he is an easy target. If he is one of these idiots who is trying to come in 1st, stay out of his way. Of course you don't want to play a big pot with the big stack, but that is hard when you flop trips.