Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2003, 11:37 PM

Default Give Me A Break

While the buy-in amount "should not matter" the payouts certainly do matter and strongly influence my strategy and I would assume yours. Getting 9th place that pays $1,000 has to be more important than getting 2nd that pays $25 or so. If there was a large amount at stake, then the decision is clearly different in this case - fold! For small payouts, go for the gold. If I lose the $5 or $10 for 3rd or 2nd, who cares.
Old 03-20-2003, 11:00 AM

Default Re: Give Me A Break

All I am saying is there is a time and a place to no longer worry about going for the money. That is determined by how low on chips you become. If you are one away from the money and 2nd lowest on chips and will be eliminated in two rounds, you wait and sneak into the money. If you have 4 times the big blind, you play aggressively. There is a time and place to not go for 1st place.
Old 03-20-2003, 01:50 PM

IMHO a tourney that is paying $25 for first is always that time and place to go for it [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-20-2003, 02:38 PM

Then you are playing limits too small for your comfort zone. You are making, IMHO, decisions that are negative EV because they are for low stakes. Buy-in amount should not matter, unless you won a satellite to enter, and making the cash would be a substantial award for you.

If winning $5 or $10 is inconsequential, so should the $25 first prize. You shouldn't enter this tournament if you feel this way.
Old 03-20-2003, 03:57 PM

You did not find me playing in this tourney - I would not be wasting my time. I was commenting on the "Huge Laydown" heading - so don't jump on me [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-20-2003, 06:54 PM

I understand that you did not make the post. I was speaking in general to all the posters who share your view that for the small prizes, you should only play to win and not worry about the other seemingly small payouts.

By the way, "Give Me a Break" would be considered jumping on me!
Old 03-20-2003, 08:00 PM

Actually I was jumping on your comment about the size of the buy-in not mattering - clearly it does as it normally reflects the size of the prize pool. Do not take it personnaly.
Old 03-21-2003, 12:03 AM

Actualy Drew I believe it is fairly widely accepted that if you are more concerned about making the cutoff than you are in winning the tourney then you are playing too high.
Old 03-21-2003, 01:04 AM

True early in the tourney, but not near the bubble, Jimbo. See, for example, Sklansky's play at the WSOP last year.

Craig
Old 03-21-2003, 01:18 AM

Who said Sklansky played correctly in that situation Bozeman? I certainly didn't, in fact due to his reputation the risk of not placing in the money was so great he was playing too high for his bankroll. This post ought to generate some heat directed my way! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]